Preferred #12 Conductor, Stranded or Solid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Hello,

Is it recommended to use #12 stranded or solid through raceway in most applications? I like the stranded because it is easier to pull but more difficult to terminate onto devices with terminal adapters.

Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
Hello,

Is it recommended to use #12 stranded or solid through raceway in most applications? I like the stranded because it is easier to pull but more difficult to terminate onto devices with terminal adapters.

Thanks

Either is fine. Each has advantages and disadvantages. I prefer stranded most of the time, and I also prefer it come off 2500 foot reels most of the time. 500 foot reels are too tight of a radius and the loose conductor laying there wants to try to coil back up - is worst when getting near the end of the reel.

But the small reels are convenient for small jobs. So I usually end up with a mixed inventory of solid and stranded as well as 500 foot and 2500 foot reels, but how much of each kind of depends on what jobs are or have recently been.

Ravenvalor

Stranded is superior when it comes to pulling. It would be nice if all wiring devices had a method for terminating stranded. 4 x 4 boxes with a method for terminating stranded would also be good. Maybe some clamp in the back of the box.

Thank you,

kwired

Electron manager
Stranded is superior when it comes to pulling. It would be nice if all wiring devices had a method for terminating stranded. 4 x 4 boxes with a method for terminating stranded would also be good. Maybe some clamp in the back of the box.

Thank you,

I have been using devices with pressure plate style terminations more frequently than I used to, they are faster to terminate with solid or stranded, but definitely work real well with stranded conductors.

For grounding pigtails to outlet boxes either use pre made pigtails or have some solid handy for those.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Copper wire self anneals over time IE gets harder. Solid is somewhat easy to pull initally but later is tough to work with. I use stranded - for the terminations on devices I will use crimp on non insulated lugs and carry a kit in my bag.

iwire

Staff member
Copper wire self anneals over time IE gets harder. Solid is somewhat easy to pull initally but later is tough to work with. I use stranded - for the terminations on devices I will use crimp on non insulated lugs and carry a kit in my bag.

Are devices listed for use with crimps?:p

I try to stay away from crimps, to me they add another thing to fail. I can make stranded up to screw terminals fine.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Hold a piece of 12 stranded in your hand. Work with it. It's supple and soft, graceful; like your favourite photo of Marilyn Monroe.

Switch to a piece of solid. It's not the same at all; more like sitting next to your Great Aunt at Thanksgiving Dinner, the one with a hairy mole on her face and bad breath.

Which do you want to spend the day with?

Status
Not open for further replies.