Does It have to be GFCI protected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
(2) 1600 amp switches were installed off the inverters,(480V system) and tied into the utility grid, It passed inspection from the City, but the utility engineer will not sign off on the as built drawings saying the switch is service equipment and has to be GFCI protected as per NEC Article 230.95. Should it be treated as SERVICE EQUIPMENT. YES/NO

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It is not GFCI, it is GFP. There is a huge difference. But to address your question, I don't think I have enough information. Can you tell us more about the installation? Is the inverter taking energy from the photocells and transferring it to the utility? If that is the case, then the inverter is not "service equipment," and 230.95 would not apply. So please tell us more.

Welcome to the forum.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
(2) 1600 amp switches were installed off the inverters,(480V system) and tied into the utility grid, It passed inspection from the City, but the utility engineer will not sign off on the as built drawings saying the switch is service equipment and has to be GFCI protected as per NEC Article 230.95. Should it be treated as SERVICE EQUIPMENT. YES/NO
Take a look at 705.12, in particular (D)(3). The 2011 code still leaves some ambiguity, IMHO, about what applies when the inverter output connection is directly to the service wiring (line or supply side tap) rather than downstream of a main breaker which also supplies local loads.
Since the purpose of GFP in a service disconnect/OCPD is to detect a ground fault in the load equipment and wiring, it does not seem to apply here at all.
Any fault that caused ground current to flow would be on the inverter side of the disconnect and would not show up through a GFP at that connection point unless somehow the inverter output wiring partially shorted out and so drew current from POCO which did not return via the neutral when the inverters were not operating.
(BTW, the statement in 690 that a disconnect need not be service rated applies only to the DC side disconnect, not to the AC side disconnect.)

Also, in my personal opinion,specifically not my interpretation of the code, a connection between the (aggregated) inverter output and POCO would be subject to the same high magnitude, poorly protected, fault current from the POCO side in the event of a bolted fault as could occur in a standard load-only service and so using only SUSE equipment and following some if not all of the rules regarding service connections does seem to make sense.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I think we need to know for sure whether this is a supply side connection (705.12(A)) or a load side connection (705.12(D)).

From the original post, I would wager it is a supply side connection and that the utility is fully justified in its requirement.

It is not GFCI, it is GFP. There is a huge difference. But to address your question, I don't think I have enough information. Can you tell us more about the installation? Is the inverter taking energy from the photocells and transferring it to the utility? If that is the case, then the inverter is not "service equipment," and 230.95 would not apply. So please tell us more.

Welcome to the forum.

The 2 1600A switches are on the 480VAC/utility side of the inverter and suppling power to the grid, so the answer is yes, to your question. Thank You for your input and the Welcome!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Thank goodness I'm not the inspector :D
I'm still a novice on PV systems, but it seems that if the switches were connected to the service, 230.95 would require GF protection.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Thank goodness I'm not the inspector :D
I'm still a novice on PV systems, but it seems that if the switches were connected to the service, 230.95 would require GF protection.

There's quite a bit of ambiguity and disagreement about how supply side connections are supposed to be considered. See for example the following recent threads:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=155362
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=157438

The problem is essentially that 705.12(A) gave us all of one or two sentences that don't address the question. There are parts of article 230 that implicitly apply, but until something in 705 clears it up I think there will continue to be problems.

My own opinion is that Article 230 should generally and comprehensively apply, so I'd probably agree with you about GFP. The GFP device would have to be suitable for backfeeding though.

BillK-AZ

Where does Article 705.32 Ground Fault Protection, with the requirement "Where ground-fault protection is used, the output of an interactive system shall be connected to the supply side of the ground fault protection", fit into this situation?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
To me, that says that where there is GFP for your local loads you cannot tie in the PV downstream of that protection. The reason is that with near balance of generation and load you could have a sustained ground fault that will not trip the GFP.
Of course if the PV has GFP this argument does not apply.
IF the GFP is at the service disconnect, this seems to require that a line side tap be used!

In many cases, the supply side of the GFP will not be on the supply side of the service disconnect.
At first glance, it seems to prohibit connecting the PV directly to the service through a GFP, although I doubt that was the intent.

Tapatalk...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.