75C 300V CMR control wiring + line conductors in same raceway Gen-to-ATS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimWA

"All conductors in a raceway must be rated for the highest voltage in said raceway. "

No high/low voltage in same box or raceway I know. However the Generac install manual states "...this (line+control) wiring may be run in the same conduit if the appropriate insulation-rated wire is used"

So does that mean I can run 75C 300V shielded CMR 18AWG 2-pair control cable in same raceway with #4-4-2 CU THHN line conductors from a 17KVA 120/240V air-cooled Generac, to the ATS? (50ft.)

If not this, what wire/cable do they refer to. Does it all have to be 600V rated wire from this power-limited source?

Also P.S.,

ATS utility input will be fed straight from the load lugs of the meter, ie., ATS is now first disconnect. So do I drive new ground rods for the ATS or bring #6 from the ATS clear over & tie in to the existing main panel ground rods. (I know I will have to rewire the main panel to a floated neutral)

thanks,
-Tim

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
"All conductors in a raceway must be rated for the highest voltage in said raceway. "

No high/low voltage in same box or raceway I know. However the Generac install manual states "...this (line+control) wiring may be run in the same conduit if the appropriate insulation-rated wire is used"

So does that mean I can run 75C 300V shielded CMR 18AWG 2-pair control cable in same raceway with #4-4-2 CU THHN line conductors from a 17KVA 120/240V air-cooled Generac, to the ATS? (50ft.)

If not this, what wire/cable do they refer to. Does it all have to be 600V rated wire from this power-limited source?
Does the information from Generac tell you the class of the control circuit? The control circuits are covered in Article 725. To run the control system in with the power conductors, in general, it would have to be a Class 1 control circuit. If that is the case, then as long as all of the conductors are insulated for at least 240 volts, you can put the controls in the same raceway as the power. If the control circuit is a Class 2 or 3 circuit, in general, it cannot be in the same raceway as the power.
Also P.S.,
ATS utility input will be fed straight from the load lugs of the meter, ie., ATS is now first disconnect. So do I drive new ground rods for the ATS or bring #6 from the ATS clear over & tie in to the existing main panel ground rods. (I know I will have to rewire the main panel to a floated neutral)
thanks,
-Tim
You need to use the existing grounding electrodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.