Covers for Poke-Thrus

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazer

I have a facility with hundreds of power/data poke-thru devices. There is a concern about neatness of the various conductors and cables that plug in to these units. It has been suggested to "custom" build an apparatus that would cover and conceal these cluttered poke-thrus. My problem is with the custom cover not being listed to be used as such over the listed/UL rated poke-thru. I cannot come up with any ammunition for this, though. Any prior experiences or guidance?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
what is a "poke-thru"?

Is this the boxes mounted in the floor?

I don't see that some kind of fabricated cover would be an issue.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have a facility with hundreds of power/data poke-thru devices. There is a concern about neatness of the various conductors and cables that plug in to these units. It has been suggested to "custom" build an apparatus that would cover and conceal these cluttered poke-thrus. My problem is with the custom cover not being listed to be used as such over the listed/UL rated poke-thru. I cannot come up with any ammunition for this, though. Any prior experiences or guidance?
A custom cover that replaces some part of the listed device would be a no-no. But putting something over the listed assembly that did not restrict access when needed should not be an NEC concern, I would think.

Are these built into tables and benches, etc., or are they floor devices? Or what? Picture?

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I've seen poke-thrus with a bunch of different options for covers, ranging from flush outlets, to recessed outlets with a flip-open cover, to data cables coiled inside the box and hidden by a flush blank cover. Is this a specialty poke-thru that doesn't have any of these sorts of options, or is there something specific that you need that's not offered?

jazer

these are through the floor poke-thru assemblies. the idea is not to dismantle or modify any part of the device but to add a beauty cover to hide and protect the cord ends and such. this cover will slide under the lipof the device in order to hold it in place. see attached.

Attachments

• 20131116_105800.jpg
    20131116_105800.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 0
  • 20131116_105816.jpg
    20131116_105816.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 0

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am not a fan of such things. They just add clutter to the floor and are a trip hazard IMO. I think you are likely to make the trip hazard worse by trying to cover up the unsightly mess of cables coming out of the floor.

You may end up making something that is unsightly more unsafe. At least as is no one can claim it is hard to see. It is so ugly it stands out and is hard to miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.