intermatic in use covers grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

FREEBALL

I have installed 4 intermatic in use extra duty covers today and they come with plastic inserts pending on what type of device you are using. Anyway the covers have a bonding jumper connected inside the cover with a 5 inch tail and stakon, which they call optional. The problem is the the only way to bond this tail is through one of the 6/32 mounting screws that mount the cover. However the actual screws mount the cover through the plastic inserts leaving only the small head of the screw that threads into the metal box. This doesn't seem like a solid connection. Has anybody else ran into this issue and if so any comments. I attatched a pic of the installation.

Attachments

• IMG_20131116_130213_901.jpg
    IMG_20131116_130213_901.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 1

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am unfamiliar with this install. Can you not tap another hole for the equipment grounding conductor? I use these alot

B0041FIR1E-6.jpg

FREEBALL

yes I believe I could it will be a threaded connection since there is still a gasket between the cover and the box however. I was thinking some sort of stud w/ a back to back nut for good bond. The OZ gedney fitting I used came with a screw in the top for a ground, square portion on top in pic, but I went the extra distance by threading a 1/4x20 MS in the side of the pipe and attatched a lug to bond the pipe. I didn't think 3 set screws were sufficient to ground the installation. That is why I didn't think the ground tail was sufficient. Why do they make an installation like this. If they are going to give you inserts they should also give you metal inserts if you are using metal covers. I have used the inserts on taymak covers but they are plastic. Anyway thanx for the idea I will run a tap in the cover to the fitting and thread it.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.