Code reference for Chase nipple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric G

I am having an issue with chase nipples which are installed in Fiberglass Combiner Boxes on a solar project. Each combiner box has 2 in's and 1 out of PVC conduit. One of the ends is attached with a plastic connector and metal locknut without a plastic bushing (which I don't see as a real problem and would love feedback on). The other 2 PVC conduits have FA's on them with a metal chase nipple to attach them to the fiberglass combiner box. Please understand that I didn't run this project, I am just the guy that is being asked to address these issues and these particular item are being said to violate the NEC because these parts need to be bonded. If this is a violation or if there is even a reference to push back on these particular items would be greatly appreciated. If needed I do have a solution but it will be extremely costly in material and labor as this is a finished product and would entail taking out and re-terminating the conductors. My fix if needed is to screw rigid nipple into the plastic FA with a locknut then install a bond bushing to establish the bond.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
what code section is being cited as being violated?

that is generally the best place to start with these kind of issues.

I do not see any of these devices as being "likely" to become energized.

personally, I am not fond of using metal fittings on plastic boxes or conduit. but my personal preference does not make it a code violation.

it might, and I say might, be a violation of the manufacturer's instructions, especially where the plastic fitting is being retained by a metal locknut.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
In my opinion you have no way to fight this.

250.4(A)(3) Bonding of Electrical Equipment. Normally non-current-carrying conductive materials enclosing electrical conductors or equipment, or forming part of such equipment, shall be connected together and to the electrical supply source in a manner that establishes an effective ground-fault current path.

kwired

Electron manager
the enclosing part sure makes it seem that way.

it seems to me I have seen a bonding doohickey that is C shaped with an open side so it can be slipped under the locknut without having to remove the wiring.

What locknut? The item in question is a chase nipple.

But I still think that doohickey may just work, but I am not the AHJ that has to approve it either.

mike1061

In my opinion you have no way to fight this.

Is that new? I remember a thread that was about the metal 90's used on underground PVC. The replies were that the code required all systems to be bonded together not every part of every system.
Thanks
Mike

iwire

Staff member
Is that new? I remember a thread that was about the metal 90's used on underground PVC. The replies were that the code required all systems to be bonded together not every part of every system.
Thanks
Mike

There is an exception for those that are under 18" cover

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

kwired

Electron manager
What about the piece of pipe that goes straight up from the elbow, out of the ground, to say a J-box?
Thanks
Mike
The exception is for elbows that are truly isolated - they must have at least 18" of cover or they must be bonded somehow. If the raceway extends out of grade and to an enclosure, it must be bonded, but is generally not all that difficult to do - if a metal enclosure just making sure the locknut(s) are tight may be all that is necessary and of course the enclosure must be bonded.

John120/240

Eric G WELCOME to the Forum. You might be out of luck on this. Yes the installation is not to code. Being as he has used a fiberglass J-box is there any real danger ? I do not know.

Status
Not open for further replies.