breaker listings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

novemberaudi

I recently installed a generac transfer switch that clearly listed what breaker mfgs. were listed for use in it, which I understand. My question is are load centers listed for use with their own breakers, or are there some that are listed for use with other mfgs? I realize that there are breakers that fit in other panels but is it legal. I have heard stories of insurance companies refusing to pay fire damage claims if they found breakers in panels they were not listed for even if that was not the cause of the fire.

Thanks Ed A.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I recently installed a generac transfer switch that clearly listed what breaker mfgs. were listed for use in it, which I understand. My question is are load centers listed for use with their own breakers, or are there some that are listed for use with other mfgs? I realize that there are breakers that fit in other panels but is it legal. I have heard stories of insurance companies refusing to pay fire damage claims if they found breakers in panels they were not listed for even if that was not the cause of the fire.

Thanks Ed A.

Look at the label on the load center for the listed circuit breakers that are approved for the specific panel.

Daja7

Thanks Ed A.

Generac Transfer switch panels are now listed for use with several manufactureres of breakers.
For some reason Cutler Hammer BR's are not on the list but C-H BR is listed for other panel manufacturers.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Panels and breakers must be listed together.

For the Panel mfr, there is ZERO incentive for them to pay to list their panel with a competitor's breaker.

For the BREAKER mfr, there is often a GREAT incentive to get their breakers listed in competitor's panels, it means they can sell their breakers to more users than just their own. But to do so means THEY must buy the competitor's panels and plug their breakers into it, then submit them to UL for destructive testing. It's about $20-30k PER LINE ITEM to get that done by UL, so figure each type of panel and each type of breaker and each FRAME of breaker will be a new line item with UL. So you have to sell a LOT of breakers to make it worth that.

templdl

Panels and breakers must be listed together.

For the Panel mfr, there is ZERO incentive for them to pay to list their panel with a competitor's breaker.

For the BREAKER mfr, there is often a GREAT incentive to get their breakers listed in competitor's panels, it means they can sell their breakers to more users than just their own. But to do so means THEY must buy the competitor's panels and plug their breakers into it, then submit them to UL for destructive testing. It's about $20-30k PER LINE ITEM to get that done by UL, so figure each type of panel and each type of breaker and each FRAME of breaker will be a new line item with UL. So you have to sell a LOT of breakers to make it worth that.
Eaton electrial's Cutler-Hammer UL listed breakes as:
"Classified breakers."

Status
Not open for further replies.