Circuit Breaker Analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

Saw a add for a new product called a " Circuit Breaker Analyzer " . Just curious for you guys that are into the testing side of electrical equipment are any of you doing this ? I saw where it gets a vibration reading when the breaker operates . The little I read says it does a vibration analysis of a known good breaker and the one being tested .

zog

Saw a add for a new product called a " Circuit Breaker Analyzer " . Just curious for you guys that are into the testing side of electrical equipment are any of you doing this ? I saw where it gets a vibration reading when the breaker operates . The little I read says it does a vibration analysis of a known good breaker and the one being tested .

We use it on every breaker in our shop before and after refirbishment. Great tool for finding issues you normally would not before complete disassembly, it will tell you things like sluggish coils, poor lubrication, chipped tooth on a charging gear, etc..

The best benifiet for most is capturing first trip data. An arc flash analysis is based on the assumption that a breaker will trip withing its TCC tolerances. Even if you did traditional current testing on that breaker you have to trip it first, remove it from the cell, then test it. So the trip times are not real world, when you tripped the breaker to remove it you broke loose dried grease, sticky coils, etc... Capturing first trip timing while still in the cell is a game changer IMO.

zog

By the way, visited them at Power Gen last week, they have a new version coming out that uses a sensor tied to your iPad. Easier to use than the current iPhone/iPod version.

templdl

By the way, visited them at Power Gen last week, they have a new version coming out that uses a sensor tied to your iPad. Easier to use than the current iPhone/iPod version.

The most important thing to note is that the subject here I think is not to be confused with molded case circuit breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.