Bathroom wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle126

I live in mass, I'm wiring a renovated bathroom, there's an existing switch outside in the hallway that controlled a light above the sink. I'm planning on leaving the wiring and installing a new light, my question is does this circuit know have to be afci protected?
Then I ran a new 20 amp circuit to a 2gang box, there's going to be an outlet and a switch for an exhaust fan light combination in the middle of the room, my questions are can I have the exhaust fan light combo on the 20 amp circuit and does the exhaust fan need to be gfci protected?

kwired

Electron manager
Answer will depend on which edition of NEC applies. 2014 I believe has expanded AFCI requirements and you may need AFCI. I don't know that anyone has or will adopt 2014 before 2014 actually gets here but it is not all that far away either. 2011 and prior NEC do not require AFCI protection for anything in a bathroom, but if the circuit also supplies outlets in areas that do require AFCI protection then it will have protection anyway.

GFCI protection is only required for 15 and 20 amp 125 volt receptacles, and for hydromassage tubs and similar or associated equipment. Any other GFCI requirement would not be NEC required but could possibly come from equipment installation instructions, and is kind of common for bath ventilation fans and fan/heater/light combination units - but is usually only required where located directly over a tub or shower.

Eagle126

Thanks for your advice, I understand your gfci answer, no this exhaust fan is not directly over the tub, also in regards to your afci answer in delay with an existing 15 amp circuit with no afci protection, but just removed the old light and installing a new light, would that be considered and extension or modification of the circuit which then I would replace the existing breaker with a afci breaker, thanks

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for your advice, I understand your gfci answer, no this exhaust fan is not directly over the tub, also in regards to your afci answer in delay with an existing 15 amp circuit with no afci protection, but just removed the old light and installing a new light, would that be considered and extension or modification of the circuit which then I would replace the existing breaker with a afci breaker, thanks
I think most would say that if you only replaced the luminaire but left the "outlet location" in the same place then you did not modify the branch circuit.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I agree with kwired. I would just add that you may want to check your local codes for requirements about having the switch inside the bathroom. I'm not familiar with the Mass. codes, but some jurisdictions require the switch to be inside the room it controls (usually with some exceptions).

cadpoint

I agree with kwired. I would just add that you may want to check your local codes for requirements about having the switch inside the bathroom. I'm not familiar with the Mass. codes, but some jurisdictions require the switch to be inside the room it controls (usually with some exceptions).

I've been reading to much code lately, in the two hundreds, there is a statement of habitable rooms need a switch.

Now you could look at it as, is this a habitable room per say, or not, to go on the Grandfather side I think your good, to go with active Code even the dreaded Active Building Code, can I say coin flip.

Most active Codes do(in following what ever Code MA is under) and will draw their rules to: What is the precentage of construction in the structure that causes you to bring up to Code any electrical application.

A single bathroom refit, might be nothing, 3 rooms and the bath verses the percentage base on the foot print of the house is now, "Make it So".

Less than 60%, your good; your State number could be anywhere.

Last edited:

jumper

Primarily for bathrooms, and maybe for closets.

I am looking at 210.70 and I do not see where it states a switch is required to be in the room where the fixture is located, local amendments may apply-but I have not encountered such.

iwire

Staff member
I am looking at 210.70 and I do not see where it states a switch is required to be in the room where the fixture is located, local amendments may apply-but I have not encountered such.

I agree and do not see a true safety reason for such an amendment.

kwired

Electron manager
Only required switch locations in a dwelling are at each level for interior stairways with six risers or more, and at the usual point of entrance of equipment or storage spaces. You could group all other switches at one location if you so desired.

Eagle126

Besides that I think for safety to install a switch outside of any dark room your entering, to try to find a switch in the dark makes it unsafe and much easier if its outside the room

kwired

Electron manager
Besides that I think for safety to install a switch outside of any dark room your entering, to try to find a switch in the dark makes it unsafe and much easier if its outside the room
If you have children especially between the ages of about 7 and ...65 you find out real fast how having a switch on the outside of a bathroom or a bedroom is not a good idea.

iwire

Staff member
If you have children especially between the ages of about 7 and ...65 you find out real fast how having a switch on the outside of a bathroom or a bedroom is not a good idea.

That has always struck me as one of the silliest arguments that is always mentioned during these switch location discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.