STROBE BOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Villani

Strobe Box

Strobe Box

Most of them now will mount to most any type of box 4" square, 1 gang ring, 2 gang ring or octagonal box. (Google system sensor P2R)

This issue becomes when the box is installed in a sheetrock wall, the common box mounting methods take into account the installation of a plaster ring so the box mounts flush to the stud face.

Without the ring, the box often sits back behind the sheetrock. Not many electricians take that into account, so I include the ring when doing a take off or ordering material.

Joe Villani

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Most of them now will mount to most any type of box 4" square, 1 gang ring, 2 gang ring or octagonal box. (Google system sensor P2R)

This issue becomes when the box is installed in a sheetrock wall, the common box mounting methods take into account the installation of a plaster ring so the box mounts flush to the stud face.

Without the ring, the box often sits back behind the sheetrock. Not many electricians take that into account, so I include the ring when doing a take off or ordering material.

Joe Villani

Time to find new electricians.

nhfire77

Who doesn't include mud rings when roughing in?? Dont answer that.

Mrstucky- With few exceptions all FA must be in or on a box.

Technically system sensor 2WB smokes can be surface mounted, but that is unacceptable in all commercial installs regardless of the explanation.

joebell

Most of the strobe only & horn/strobe devices I have installed will mount to a single gang plaster ring with a 4" sq back box. When you get into the speaker /strobe devices we typically install the 4" sq back box to be flush with the finished edge of the dry wall.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I know they must be in a box... It was the ring I was asking about

the junction box must be flush with finish wall, not flush with stud face.

you either need a ring, or.... there is a new 4" x 4" x 4" combo j box with brackets that can be set
proud of the stud to end up flush. saw samples at my wholesale house. pretty cool. when it's back
flush to the back of the stud, the box is 1/2" proud, so it'll work with 1/2" or 5/8" rock....

and best of all, they are only three times the price of a 4SD and a 2 gang 5/8" ring. about $10 each...
sure, put a couple cases of them on the invoice. i might need them for something.... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.