gas pipe on ceiling fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
how you proceed when you find a gas pipe in the ceiling fixture.do you call a plumber or you remove it yourself?
I would say that depends on three things:

1. Are there electric wires coming in through the gas pipe? If so, go for it yourself.
2. Is the gas pipe apparently abandoned and open at the fixture? Go for it unless you get to a closed gas valve along the way or you are in an area with strong trade work restrictions.
3. Is the pipe capped off at the fixture and so conceivably may actually have a gas supply connected? Definitely consider getting a plumber in.

PetrosA

I ran into this in Boston changing a hanging light for my mom years ago. The old gas lines were "supposed" to be off, but they weren't. I wouldn't mess with this yourself. A lot of gas can pour out of a 3/8" line ;)

iwire

Staff member
I ran into this in Boston changing a hanging light for my mom years ago. The old gas lines were "supposed" to be off, but they weren't. I wouldn't mess with this yourself. A lot of gas can pour out of a 3/8" line ;)

Pretty much every house around Boston and there is nothing to mess with.

You change the fixture and leave the pipe as it was. :cool:

RICK NAPIER

These are pretty old lines running throughout the house. I would tell the owners to contact a plumber sometimes they can disconnect these lines leaving gas service to the appliances still in use.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
It's gas. Don't mess with it unless you are a licensed plumber. Have the owner call in a plumber. This needs to be dealt with properly.
A live gas line has no buisiness in a electrical box or fixture.

iwire

Staff member
It's gas. Don't mess with it unless you are a licensed plumber. Have the owner call in a plumber. This needs to be dealt with properly.
A live gas line has no buisiness in a electrical box or fixture.

I really don't think you understand just how common this is in some areas.

Entire neiborhoods with each room having a gas line in the center of the ceiling. Many are dead many are live. I always just worked around them.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I really don't think you understand just how common this is in some areas.

Entire neiborhoods with each room having a gas line in the center of the ceiling. Many are dead many are live. I always just worked around them.

This maybe common. However I don't think a gas line is allowed in NON rated electrical fixture or outlet box. The line needs to disconnected from the supply. Someone will get hurt.

kwired

Electron manager
This maybe common. However I don't think a gas line is allowed in NON rated electrical fixture or outlet box. The line needs to disconnected from the supply. Someone will get hurt.
Considering how long most of them have been there with no more gas usage, I think statistics will indicate that risk is not very high. It may still be a good idea to remove them whenever possible, but probably is not such a danger anyone is mandating immediate removal of all that are still existing.

iwire

Staff member
This maybe common. However I don't think a gas line is allowed in NON rated electrical fixture or outlet box.

They are not allowed in a box now, they were than and we are not required to change things just because the code changed.

The line needs to disconnected from the supply.

That is up to the HO not me.

Someone will get hurt.

How?

How is a capped black iron pipe more dangerous than a gas stove, dryer, furnace that has open gas lines near open wiring?

PetrosA

How is a capped black iron pipe more dangerous than a gas stove, dryer, furnace that has open gas lines near open wiring?

Imagine a 19 year old me and a sawzall... I had cut many a gas pipe like that here in PA by then, but the one in my mom's place was the first live one I ever saw.

I remember they used to have a special threaded mount for the pancake.

Status
Not open for further replies.