gas pipe on ceiling fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

how you proceed when you find a gas pipe in the ceiling fixture.do you call a plumber or you remove it yourself?

Venting Natural Gas in an active structure is exactly what blew up the Slim Jim Plant, Garner NC.

If it's a rotten egg small, it's the additive that they put in NG. It's added to NG because its oderless and colorless.

Go with a professional!

kwired

Electron manager
Imagine a 19 year old me and a sawzall... I had cut many a gas pipe like that here in PA by then, but the one in my mom's place was the first live one I ever saw.

I remember they used to have a special threaded mount for the pancake.

There is a difference between cutting this line that is likely operating in the inches of water column pressure ranges as compared to cutting a 800 PSI transmission line. Cut the low pressure line - even if you ignite the gas in the process you don't have nearly as big of a fire, now if the cut is near other combustibles the spread of that fire is of concern, but if it is in the open it could burn for a long time the next danger maybe would be that it is consuming oxygen if it is in an enclosed space. But you probably do have time to find wherever you need to shut the supply off. If you don't ignite it, they do put a scent in the gas so you will smell it fairly quickly, and as long as you don't create any sparks to ignite it, it is at a low enough pressure you do have some time to find the shut off, before it becomes a big explosion hazard, if having difficulty finding shut off ventilation becomes more necessary like opening doors and windows. At these low pressures you can even put your electrical tape over the cut to slow down the leak, or plug the line with something. It is usually the leak that nobody knows about that causes the building to explode, if you are right there when you cause the leak the dangers are generally not quite that dramatic - on low pressure lines.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
They are not allowed in a box now, they were than and we are not required to change things just because the code changed.
How could it ever have been compliant to install a electrical box with a gas pipe. That was never a listed component. I am sure it was ok if the pipe was removed from the supply but never the latter. show me the code were it was ok at the time.

They are not allowed in a box now, they were than and we are not required to change things just because the code changed.
How could it ever have been compliant to install a electrical box with a gas pipe. That was never a listed component. I am sure it was ok if the pipe was removed from the supply but never the latter. show me the code were it was ok at the time.

At the time of conversion gas pipe WAS a recognized raceway. RC derived from it...

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Pretty much every house around Boston and there is nothing to mess with.

You change the fixture and leave the pipe as it was. :cool:

I really like that hissing sound when I cut them.:lol:

They are everywhere,when my next door neighbour bought her house in 1969 all the gas lights were still working and the house had no wiring:slaphead: Needless to say she had the place wired at that point.

RLyons

Can't say I've come across one that was still hooked up, usually you can see where it has been cut and capped in the basement. The poco gas leak quickfix around these parts is duct seal and electrical tape with a tag that's says not out problem.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
Specific case history as an example for the young guys:

Grandpa built his house in 1906, all gas lighting, no electricity available.

1914, electricity became available (central IL), and grandpa wired up the house - all of 2 (two!) outlets and 5 ceiling and 4 wall lighting fixtures, plus newfangled electric range that had it's own outlet.

ALL the lights were wired pulling linen wires thru the black iron gas pipe, elbows cut out and K&T at the bends. Main disconnect consisted of 1 open knife switch behind a wooden cabinet door and two small 3" by 5" ceramic blocks with pieces of solder for fuses. Still have one of the fuse blocks in 'historic' collection of parts - mPc part number 1183/4.

Gas in 1910 era was NOT natural gas, it was coal gas derived from making coke for the steel mills over in Indiana. When house was converted to electric lighting, the gas main was disconnected.

No changes till late 40's, when pop put in a sq D panel and added lights and outlets in the basement. When coal furnace was converted to nat gas in early 1950's as nat gas came to central IL, most, but not all, the gas lines from the street were replaced, gas meters installed, 100% new piping for gas furnace, etc., so zero chance of gas in any of the old black iron pipe.

Grandma died in 1975, the light fixtures still had the gas jets, but no gas. Pop used the house for storage until 2003, gas light fixtures still there then, installed 200A service a few years ago and brother rewired entire house after Pop's death, but left some of the ceiling fixture gas jets in place for 'ambience'.

Status
Not open for further replies.