Surface Mount Indicator Light and fuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

blogman

Single breaker service disconnect.

Are there any code issues with mounting a 120volt neon lamp assembly in the side of the service disconnect box?
Are there any code issues with mounting a 120 volt surface mount fuse assembly in the side of the service disconnect box?

Thanks
blogman

blogman

What will provide the overcurrent protection for the wiring to the fuse and the indicator lamp?

Tapatalk...

The overload protection would be the 15 amp circuit breaker that is the service disconnect on the box I want to mount the lamp and fuse. These would be used to protect and indicate off/on a 12 volt power supply that is powered by the service disconnect.

thanks
blogman

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What will provide the overcurrent protection for the wiring to the fuse and the indicator lamp?

Tapatalk...
The fuse... :p

@blogman

See 230.82 Equipment Connected to the Supply Side of Service Disconnect, that is, if you are wanting to tap into the line side.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
@blogman

What is the purpose?

Is the service disconnecting means located outside or inside building (or structure)?

kwired

Electron manager
Why wouldn't you want an indicator on the output of the 12 volt supply instead? That would tell you if you have 12 volts, your set up only tells you the input of the 12 volt supply is on but doesn't tell you if you have output.

blogman

The service disconnect is outside the building and used to service a outside sign.
Power to the powersupply is controlled by a photocell - I want to include the indicator light
to confirm power to the powersupply.
The 12volt output of the power supply i will be able to easily check and see if it is powered.
My thinking was housing the fuse to protect the power supply (1 amp) and an indicator light mounted on 'the side of the service disconnect box as it is all 120 volt ac.
Thanks
blogman

templdl

Single breaker service disconnect.

Are there any code issues with mounting a 120volt neon lamp assembly in the side of the service disconnect box?
Are there any code issues with mounting a 120 volt surface mount fuse assembly in the side of the service disconnect box?

Thanks
blogman
Consider the neon light , the current that it draws and the size of the wire. Are you protecting the wire from overload? Let's skip that question and consider failures and not an overload. As such wouldn't you consider short circuit protection because of a failure? You want the fuse to clear should the be a short circuit or for some odd event that the neon light has a catstophic failure.

kwired

Electron manager
Let me say this - indicator light or no indicator light, if you are following 70E when servicing this sign, you are supposed to disconnect power, then check for voltage before working on the equipment. Is the indicator allowed to be a substitute for a volt meter? If so I would think you at least must verify it is on before turning the disconnect off, then verify the indicator went off.

I kind of like the idea of using a "luminaire disconnect" ahead of this power supply, assuming the load is within the rating of such devices, even if you still have the disconnect switch ahead of it. When you go to work on the power supply just pull that luminaire disconnect and you have a visual confirmation that it is disconnected and shouldn't need an indicator light or a meter.

If 70E doesn't like that then why are they ok for fluorescent luminaires?

Status
Not open for further replies.