Experience with PSE&G for residential in NJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
I am quoting a service upgrade for a home owner in Union NJ.
He would like to only have the panel replaced and not to change the meter pan and service conductors.
PSEG must unlock the meter pan for us to pull the meter. Does anyone have experience with PSE&G? Will they require the old 100 amp meter pan be replaced with a new one?
The existing meter pan is a little large than the meter itself. Certainly doesn't meet todays code cycle.
PSE&G insight?

Thank you.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I am quoting a service upgrade for a home owner in Union NJ.
He would like to only have the panel replaced and not to change the meter pan and service conductors.
PSEG must unlock the meter pan for us to pull the meter. Does anyone have experience with PSE&G? Will they require the old 100 amp meter pan be replaced with a new one?
The existing meter pan is a little large than the meter itself. Certainly doesn't meet todays code cycle.
PSE&G insight?

Thank you.
If you only have to pull the meter to kill the power then I say no you should nat have to change it.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If the meter enclosure and SE cable are rated for the size service you are upgrading to and if YOU have inspected both and made the determination that they do not need to be replaced, then all you need to do is contact PSE&G to unlock the meter. Seeing as how the meter pan hasn't been unlocked yet you have no idea what the inside looks like or whether the lugs are corroded or not. A word to the wise, bring another meter enclosure with you in the event you snap off a lug while removing the existing cable.;)

Jerseydaze

Ive heard of guys cutting and reconnecting the connections on the customers side of the service in order to avoid the hassle of having PSE&G being involved in a panel change.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Thanks for replies fellow Jersey sparkies.
I haven't worked with PSE&G in a few years. However, I do recall a PSE&G personnel warning me that ALL jobs should be reviewed by them PRIOR to doing the work to avoid re-work after we believe the job is "complete". My recollection is that he explained all equipment must be brought up to current code if we touch the service.
Changing the meter pan with the 1 1/4 rigid will cost the customer some $s.
Any suggestions on the best way to get a new meter pan here? The picture doesn't show it but there are offsets bent into the pipe. The phone interface will be in the way of a new meter pan (shouldn't be a problem). Are there fittings I can put on the pipe after I cut out the old meter pan? Don't know why the image is so HUGE! Almost as big as the meter pan!

Attachments

• IMG_4591.jpg
    IMG_4591.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 1

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Sorry, dumb question regarding fittings at the replacement meter pan. If the meter pan needs to be changed, I will take all of the pipe off the house, install new meter pan with SEU & new service head. The quote to the customer will include $s for that scenario. The lugs on the meter pan may be un-workable AND PSE&G may say change that meter pan out.
Looking at the existing panel, I need more length on the lines from the meter pan for the new panel.

Thank you all. Happy Thanksgiving.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thanks for replies fellow Jersey sparkies.
I haven't worked with PSE&G in a few years. However, I do recall a PSE&G personnel warning me that ALL jobs should be reviewed by them PRIOR to doing the work to avoid re-work after we believe the job is "complete". My recollection is that he explained all equipment must be brought up to current code if we touch the service.
Changing the meter pan with the 1 1/4 rigid will cost the customer some $s.
Any suggestions on the best way to get a new meter pan here? The picture doesn't show it but there are offsets bent into the pipe. The phone interface will be in the way of a new meter pan (shouldn't be a problem). Are there fittings I can put on the pipe after I cut out the old meter pan? Don't know why the image is so HUGE! Almost as big as the meter pan!
A couple of things I'd like to bring to your attention
  • If this is a mast system you can no longer use 1 1/4' gal. Has to be 2" on any 100-200 amp service
  • The local EI will (in all likelihood) make you upgrade the grounding system. That means ground rods and new bonding to the water main
  • This is an old meter enclosure and the lugs are prpbably screw tightened. It also doesn't have a fifth jaw which PSE&G now requires. Personally speaking I'd replace it
  • Have you really estimated how much you're saving your customer by not upgrading the entire service ? Besides, IMHO, replacing a 100 amp service with a 100 amp service really does nothing to increase the value of the house.
Just my 2 cents worth.

John120/240

Besides, IMHO, replacing a 100 amp service with a 100 amp service really does nothing to increase the value of the house.
[/LIST]
Just my 2 cents worth.

If you are replacing a 60 amp pull out fuse block that has 4 Edison base fuses with a modern 24 space breaker panel you have definitely made an improvement to the structure.
I can imagine a two bedroom bungalow w/one bath, living room, kitchen, attached garage, furnace & WH in a closet outside the bath you are never going to need more than a 100 amp service IMO.

krisinjersey

Spec Book

Spec Book

Here's the link for the latest edition of the PSE&G Green Book. Make sure you inform your supply house that the meter pan is for a PSE&G service. They differ from the pans used in JCP&L territory. Also, if you work in Butler or Madison, make sure you call them to get cut loose. They get really upset if you don't call them. Madison uses an up-sized drop conductor as well so make sure if you are crimping in, you have the right size insulinks.
http://pseg.com/business/new_service/before/index.jsp

Status
Not open for further replies.