any code violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
I have a situation where I will be adding a 100 amp disconnect below an existing meter to serve one apartment.
The wall directly underneath this meter is quite full of obstructions. Anyway, my question: Is there anything in the code that limits the length of conduit between the meter and the main disconnect? It will be apx. 15".
I would call that a nipple, and I do believe im ok. I guess what Im wondering is how far could one go between load side of a meter and line side of a main breaker?
Thanks for any input you may have.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hi everyone,
I have a situation where I will be adding a 100 amp disconnect below an existing meter to serve one apartment.
The wall directly underneath this meter is quite full of obstructions. Anyway, my question: Is there anything in the code that limits the length of conduit between the meter and the main disconnect? It will be apx. 15".
I would call that a nipple, and I do believe im ok. I guess what Im wondering is how far could one go between load side of a meter and line side of a main breaker?

these would be service conductors, right?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hi everyone,

If the nipple is on the outside of the building there is no limit as to how long it can. The length that enters into the structure is not defined by the NEC but IMO you would be hard pressed to find someone who has a problem with 15".

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
As long as the wiring is outside the building and not subject to physical damage, I do not think there is a limit.
If meter and disconnect are both inside, the exact distance is subject to variations from one AHJ to another.
For purposes of derating wires, the limit is 24" AFAIK.
In a situation where a high amp service is split up to several meters and disconnects, tap rules may apply if smaller wire is used to the disconnect for each unit

Tapatalk...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As long as the wiring is outside the building and not subject to physical damage, I do not think there is a limit.
If meter and disconnect are both inside, the exact distance is subject to variations from one AHJ to another.
For purposes of derating wires, the limit is 24" AFAIK.
In a situation where a high amp service is split up to several meters and disconnects, tap rules may apply if smaller wire is used to the disconnect for each unit

Tapatalk...

Are you saying that tap rules may apply to the service entrance conductors?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
No, just that in some multi-meter situations the service demarcation may be upstream of the unit meters.
Most jurisdictions do not allow re-billing based on private meters for rental units, but I am sure this is done in some places. POCO would own an upstream meter in those cases.

Tapatalk...

kwired

Electron manager
No, just that in some multi-meter situations the service demarcation may be upstream of the unit meters.
Most jurisdictions do not allow re-billing based on private meters for rental units, but I am sure this is done in some places. POCO would own an upstream meter in those cases.

Tapatalk...
If they are still service conductors, there is no "tap rules", the conductor must be able to carry the calculated load though but could supply more overcurrent protection than the ampacity in some cases.

If they are not service conductors then you may run into tap rules.

If they are feeder taps and don't enter the building, by tap rules there is no limitation in length.

Last edited:

baddriver

If the 100A disconnect is a service disconnect for the apartment (which is what it sounds like from original poster's description), take a look at NEC Art. 230.70 Service Equipment Disconnecting Means.

230.70(A)(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.