6 year code cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

Was told by an inspector last week that NC passed the 6 year code cycle. Any one know if it did and will we keep 2011 until 2017? Wish they would leave it alone.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Was told by an inspector last week that NC passed the 6 year code cycle. Any one know if it did and will we keep 2011 until 2017? Wish they would leave it alone.

I get code alerts for every state (even though I only want my state) and that was the alert/notice for NC that I received.

I think Dennis has stated that as well.

ceb58

We will know more after Dec 10 of just when we start the 6 year code cycle but yes the Home Builders Association did get the 6 year cycle passed

I know that they have fought hard against things like the AFCI's and other things they think will add cost to building a home. But what's going to happen when we adopt the next code cycle? Lets say we stay under the 2011. The 2014 is going to have many code changes that most, electricians and inspectors, will not keep up with because it will not be in effect. Then we reach the 2017 code and it is adopted. That leaves every one to play catch up with the 14 and 17 code changes which will in effect dump more cost, due to so many changes at one time, on to a project. No one can predict what the housing market will be like in 17 it may be booming and can absorb the extra cost or it could be in the toilet and the added cost would be a deal breaker. If they want to look at something they need to look at the energy codes. Talk about added cost.

jwelectric

If the Home Builders Association gets their way NC will be writing their own codes, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, building, and fire. What was proposed at the last General Assembly was that NC writes their codes but it was tabled due to the opposition to this rule.

The DOI is not allowed to fight for our codes any longer so it is up to people like us to take up this fight. Write your political persons and express your opinions.

There was many there in support for the three year code cycles such as but not limited to NEMA, UL, Met, and many electrical contractor associations and others. The Home Builders Association is the strongest association in NC and has money to spend to get their way. I do not support them in any way. I was once a member but I never got even one contract by being a member so I dropped my membership. I also found that I could get my insurance a lot cheaper by doing some research than what they had promised to get me to join.

It is not only the codes that are being intruded on but also inspections. There are proposals to limit the number of inspections on any given job which will lead to inferior work being done and sold to the customer.

Based simply on the proposals by the HBA one would think that the only new construction being done in NC was housing. These proposals will not only affect the housing in NC but also all construction.

On a side note one of the proposals was to have the housing be on six year cycles but commercial and industrial on three year cycles. This would mean that contractors that work in both fields would need to keep up to date on two different codes as well as code officials doing inspections would need to know both codes. This will be nothing short of a cluster???.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I may be going to Raleigh with Terry Cromer on Dec. 9 Hopefully, as Mike stated, a decision will be made at the end of that day. The split cycle for commercial and residential is absurd, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.