Single 30A Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

session88

What is the maximum allowable Cord-and-Plug connected load attached to a single 30 Amp rated receptacle. The 30 Amp receptacle is fed by a single/dedicated 30 Amp breaker. No other Cord-and-Plug loads are fed by the dedicated circuit.

Does Table 210.21(B)(2) apply even though the circuit only has one single receptacle?

Thanks.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Code reference?
:ashamed1: my bad.

I was looking at the last sentence of 210.23(B)... and I forgot subsections of 210.23 are for two or more outlets. With only one outlet in the OP scenario, a single cord-and-plug-connected load is permitted up to the 30A circuit/receptacle rating.

session88

:ashamed1: my bad.

I was looking at the last sentence of 210.23(B)... and I forgot subsections of 210.23 are for two or more outlets. With only one outlet in the OP scenario, a single cord-and-plug-connected load is permitted up to the 30A circuit/receptacle rating.

Ok so if I have a non-continuous load that draws up to 30A that connects to a 30A receptacle with a Cord-and-Plug this is not a code violation?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What would be the point of a 30A receptacle existing if it couldn't handle 30A?
When there is another receptacle on the same circuit on the same circuit... you need to understand that just because its a 30A receptacle does not mean a single cord-and-plug-connected load will always be a 30A load. I admit the logic seemingly imposed is not without fault, but the idea is that with two or more receptacles on the same circuit that one load not utilize the entire capacity of the circuit so there is at least some possibility that two loads can share the circuit without tripping the ocpd.

session88

When there is another receptacle on the same circuit on the same circuit... you need to understand that just because its a 30A receptacle does not mean a single cord-and-plug-connected load will always be a 30A load. I admit the logic seemingly imposed is not without fault, but the idea is that with two or more receptacles on the same circuit that one load not utilize the entire capacity of the circuit so there is at least some possibility that two loads can share the circuit without tripping the ocpd.

Ok can the circuit I described have a piece of equipment pull a maximum load of up to 30A? Dedicated circuit for one single receptacle. No other outlets on circuit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ok can the circuit I described have a piece of equipment pull a maximum load of up to 30A? Dedicated circuit for one single receptacle. No other outlets on circuit.

Yes, 30 amp OCPD with a individual branch circuit, 30 amp or larger single receptacle, 30 amp noncontinuous load.

Status
Not open for further replies.