4-11 ground screws

Status
Not open for further replies.
if your home run goes to a 4-11 box and you split the ground wires between the 2 ground screws, it would seem that only half of your circuits have a true ground. The other circuits would only be mechanically connected unless you put a jumper wire between the 2 ground screws.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The equipment grounding conductor is allowed to use the box as a means of continuity however the neutral in a main panel cannot. 250.148

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
if your home run goes to a 4-11 box and you split the ground wires between the 2 ground screws, it would seem that only half of your circuits have a true ground. The other circuits would only be mechanically connected unless you put a jumper wire between the 2 ground screws.
Welcome to the forum.

I am confused by what you mean when you say "true ground". The steel box can carry fault current as well as any wire. If the wiring method to the 4-11 box is steel conduit then it would be a better equipment grounding conductor than any wire you could stuff in it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

I am confused by what you mean when you say "true ground". The steel box can carry fault current as well as any wire. If the wiring method to the 4-11 box is steel conduit then it would be a better equipment grounding conductor than any wire you could stuff in it.

I think the op feels if the equipment grounding conductor is connected thru the box it does not get the protection required.

Status
Not open for further replies.