Occupancy Sensor for Bath Fan in Retail Enviroment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Hello,

I am installing an exhaust fan in a bathroom in a retail environment remodel job. Is it necessary for me to install an occupancy sensor for it in order to meet the energy code? I plan to install one for the light fixture.

Thanks and have a great day.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Hello,

I am installing an exhaust fan in a bathroom in a retail environment remodel job. Is it necessary for me to install an occupancy sensor for it in order to meet the energy code? I plan to install one for the light fixture.

Thanks and have a great day.
Depends on your applicable local energy code.
Since there is no shower or tub, you do not necessarily need to provide for a delayed turn off of the fan. Simply tying it to the light controller (with a relay if the occupancy sensor cannot handle it directly) seems like a good solution.

david

I have seen exhaust fans on timers, I do not recall having seen them on a occupancy sensor, in a bath room.

For that reason I am going to say they are not required to be on a Occupancy Sensor.

I am not sure bathroom lighting is required to be on occupancy sensors.
I believe you can meet the energy code by using 50% switching in most occupancy classes to meet the energy code.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have seen exhaust fans on timers, I do not recall having seen them on a occupancy sensor, in a bath room.

For that reason I am going to say they are not required to be on a Occupancy Sensor.

I am not sure bathroom lighting is required to be on occupancy sensors.
I believe you can meet the energy code by using 50% switching in most occupancy classes to meet the energy code.
A timer, which would be a manual switch, would not seem to be particularly good for a shared bathroom in a retail environment. A straight manual switch will either end up on most of the time or off most of the time.
FWIW there are bathroom fans for residential use that incorporate both an occupancy sensor and a humidity sensor into the fan itself. (Panasonic makes several models.) These meet most energy codes.

Ravenvalor

Thanks for all of the replies.

I will put the fan on a switch and ask the customer if he wants the light on a switch also. This is not a public restroom so the public leaving the units on is not an issue.

Thanks Again,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.