NJ Licensing, Leasing Licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Many of these so called fixit companies, With fancy signs on trucks, (trucks with fully covered ads) dead give away in my view.
Are calling up license holders and borrowing numbers for monthly fee, And placing on their trucks. When the actually license holders has another job. How is this legal. Sure it isn't. But what to do, Many of these companies. Doing it with plumbing as well. Sat down with a guy at poker table, And explained to me that is what he is doing with his license.

So it is true.

JES2727

Nothing says you can't be a contractor while holding down a full time job, provided you've got the business permit and the insurance and the bond. And there's plenty of electrical contractors in this state where the 'license holder' is not the owner. However, to be 'license holder' for a company which you are otherwise uninvolved, while maybe legal, is absolute foolishness. The license holder is assuming responsibility for any and all electrical work performed by that company yet he has no control over who does the work or how it gets done. He's asking for trouble.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Verboten!!

Verboten!!

In NJ you can be a license holder for only one company at a time. The current license holder for my company is an employee, not an owner. He can't go out and practice separately under his own license. If a full-time contractor is "leasing" his number to another company, that's a violation of the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.