Residential troubleshooting question

Status
Not open for further replies.
To start with, I'm an apprentice. Also, I have never done any residential work And I just moved to a new state so I don't have anyone else to ask yet. My grandfather is having a problem with his bedroom circuits. Two bedrooms are on one circuit with outlets and switch lighting. She said last night that he smelled "that O-Zone smell", and the power and those two bedrooms one out. Problem is, the breakers didn't trip. What do I need to look into. Any help would be much appreciated

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I think that you are just going to have to open boxes and see if the wiring failed.

Simple answer could be that you have a GFCI on the line and it tripped.

I'm guessing that if he smelled something, that my first answer is more likely. I would also turn off that circuit until you find the cause.

novemberaudi

I have seen instances where the breaker tripped but the handle did not got to the center tripped position. You could try turning off and on all the breakers and see if it helps.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You might start with a plug in tester and see if you can find a point where power has failed, if any, to try and give you a better start point.
Other than that I agree with the other answers..open boxes and disconnect power except for troubleshooting until you find it
( My $$ would be on a loose connection at an outlet_)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
some contractors call me a "wood-head"... here I though it was an insult :D (some use other hyphenated similar terms)

back stab receptacles will burn loose over time
corrosion of bus will prevent voltage at breaker
if you loose neutral, 120V loads will not burn but show voltage present with pen testers
check for hot and neutral

templdl

I have seen instances where the breaker tripped but the handle did not got to the center tripped position. You could try turning off and on all the breakers and see if it helps.

You are correct in assuring that the breaker did trip but I personally advise not to reset and close the breaker unless you can locate and resolve the cause of the trip.
Also, often times we ask why didn't the breaker trip when in fact neither the instantaneous magnitude was enought to trip the breaker instantaneously nor the was the current high enough for a long enough period of time to trip the breaker.

cadpoint

Be sure to ask if any work was done in the house around the rooms effected. Even including
moving furniture, storage boxes to the attic or over rooms, or the same for the basement.

Some times people will whack a plug and think nothing of it!

Ask them if they moved and changed the use of the room that now their using a now new
available receptacle. This could have been sitting for years like that and now put to work, it shows up.

If it me, I believe I'd open everyone of the receptacles.

John120/240

Divide & Conquer: In your mind imagine how you would wire the problem area. Start in the middle of the circuit & take everything loose from a receptacle. Use your VoltCon/wiggy for trouble shooting.
Depending on what works-don't work the problem is between here and the panel or between here and the end of the circuit. Divide & Conquer again. It was said before more than likely a back stabbed receptacle.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Divide & Conquer: In your mind imagine how you would wire the problem area. Start in the middle of the circuit & take everything loose from a receptacle. Use your VoltCon/wiggy for trouble shooting.
Depending on what works-don't work the problem is between here and the panel or between here and the end of the circuit. Divide & Conquer again. It was said before more than likely a back stabbed receptacle.

Imagining how you would wire it is a start, but keep in mind that you did not. What may seem illogical to you may have made entire sense to the person(s) that did. Not necessarily wrong, just different. A good learning experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.