auto fire doors on a disconnect ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if the life safety code does not allow an electrically powered fire door, in a hospital, to be on a disconnect? I want to be able to kill power to the door on the spot for maintenance purposes.

Thanks,
Jonathan

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I don't know why a disconnect would not be allowed.

The circuit breaker is already one disconnect, so adding another one shouldn't hurt. It might be a good idea to put it above the ceiling, or up high so not just anyone can turn it off. However, I think most automatic doors already have an on/off switch mounted within easy reach, so again, I'm not sure how another switch would hurt.

I'm assuming this is an automatic door - one that opens and closes, and not just a hold open or closer.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Does anyone know if the life safety code does not allow an electrically powered fire door, in a hospital, to be on a disconnect? I want to be able to kill power to the door on the spot for maintenance purposes.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Under loss of power the door will simply go into manual (panic bar) operation.

Roger

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Under loss of power the door will simply go into manual (panic bar) operation.

Roger

I thought a fire door was one of the doors that was held in place until the fire alarm went off and then was released so it closed. I kind of assumed, but never knew, that the door would close on loss of power.

mgookin

The question is "does the life safety code ..." and that question should be directed to the local Fire Marshal. Fire codes are notorious for local amendments. And there is likely a state agency with jurisdiction too. I wouldn't want to be the one changing the design on something as critical as a fire barrier in a hospital!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The question is "does the life safety code ..."
And NFPA 101 doesn't care if the doors are powered or held open as long as they can be opened/operated in an emergency or power outage.

Roger

Thanks for your insight guys. The doors are supposed to close in an emergency. And thinking about it now, a disconnect will not change the way te door is supposed to operate normally or in a power outrage.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for your insight guys. The doors are supposed to close in an emergency. And thinking about it now, a disconnect will not change the way te door is supposed to operate normally or in a power outrage.

Yes, I agree if its a normally held open door. I thought it sounded like you were talking about an automatic door.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't believe there is anything stating that you have to hold doors open in any facility but they have to close in a fire condition to compartmentalize any smoke condition. By the same token any doors that are considered in paths of egress should be of the fail safe and not fail secure design. Having said that there should be no reason why there can't be a local disconnect means. However, as has been mentioned, I would locate it in an area where it can't be tampered with.

Also mentioned, fire marshals are of a different breed than your local electrical inspector so, irrespective of what anyone states here it's always best to check with them rather than deciding on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.