Ground mount solar, is ground wire to main panel needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jimmy

I installed a 6KW ground mount solar system. The microinverters do not require a neutral. The array is 400Ft from the main panel. I installed a ground rod at the array for bonding and grounding. The inspector wants a ground wire back to the main panel. Any suggestions on how to rectify, as is very difficult to pull 1/0 wire 400ft as trench is backfilled.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I installed a 6KW ground mount solar system. The microinverters do not require a neutral. The array is 400Ft from the main panel. I installed a ground rod at the array for bonding and grounding. The inspector wants a ground wire back to the main panel. Any suggestions on how to rectify, as is very difficult to pull 1/0 wire 400ft as trench is backfilled.
Assuming the inverters are at the array end of the run, there is no way around running an EGC with circuit conductors.

Aside from the disappointing reply, welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

stickboy1375

?????????.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Your inspector is correct. Not much help now, but it is always a good idea to get your AHJ to approve your design before you install it.

With your installation, what do you propose will happen if you have a ground fault to the racking or poles? Make sure you watch the link posted by stickboy. Just want to make sure you understand why it must be this way not just that is must be this way....

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
With your installation, what do you propose will happen if you have a ground fault to the racking or poles? Make sure you watch the link posted by stickboy. Just want to make sure you understand why it must be this way not just that is must be this way....
I don't see a link in stickboy's post, just a string of periods in white text.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I think this is going to be painful and expensive to fix.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The EGC is required to be run with circuit conductors.

If he ran direct bury, I fail to see how he managed to not run an EGC... :blink:

the OP does not say he ran DB cable. Just that he ran 1/0. Maybe he ran two 1/0 in a PVC conduit.

I wonder how he managed to get a solar contractor license w/o realizing he needs to run an EGC. One would think that would be on the test somewhere.

although it never says he ran it in conduit either. maybe he just put the wires in the trench and backfilled.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
the OP does not say he ran DB cable. Just that he ran 1/0. Maybe he ran two 1/0 in a PVC conduit.
I was aware what the OP stated... that's why I wrote "If he ran direct bury".

However he commented that the trench was backfilled. That shouldn't matter for the pulling of wire. Should only matter if conduit is too small to add the EGC.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I was aware what the OP stated... that's why I wrote "If he ran direct bury".

However he commented that the trench was backfilled. That shouldn't matter for the pulling of wire. Should only matter if conduit is too small to add the EGC.

I would not want to try and remove 400 foot of two 1/0 conductors that is in UG conduit so i could pull in three #1s instead.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I wonder if the OP will come back and elaborate or whether he has fled in disgrace, never to return. :)

maybe we should have a new thread on each of our most expensive mistakes. never had one of this magnitude myself. guess I have been lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.