Delta Grounding System

Status
Not open for further replies.

osassady

Hi

I'm trying to ground my 800 amp service, parallel. The plan show that I need #4/0 to grn rod field(delta grounding rod installation). How does it work and where do I need to put the rod?

thanks

osassady

Delta Grounding System

Hi,
I have a project, riser diagram required #4/0 to grn rod filed(delta symbal). I guess it's a delta ground system. This is something new to me. So I need 3 grd rod? and how do I bury them, in triangle shape?

Please help. Thank You.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am a bit confused by your description. Any chance you could post the riser diagram, or at least a hand-sketch of the symbols you are trying to describe?

mgookin

Hi,
I have a project, riser diagram required #4/0 to grn rod filed(delta symbal). I guess it's a delta ground system. This is something new to me. So I need 3 grd rod? and how do I bury them, in triangle shape?

Please help. Thank You.

Welcome to the forum.

Is there a name & phone number on the drawing? Call the guy who drew it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Hi

I'm trying to ground my 800 amp service, parallel. The plan show that I need #4/0 to grn rod field(delta grounding rod installation). How does it work and where do I need to put the rod?

thanks

That is beyond the requirements of the NEC, so you have to do what the plans and specs require. The code would only require a #6 to the rods. The code requires that the rods be at least 6' apart, but for the lowest ground resistance they should be at least twice their length apart.

david

Ground rods are usually vertical not horizontal (driven not buried).
Ground rods are spaced at least 6 ft. apart
Ground rods are driven at not more than a 45 deg. angle.

Most of the drawings I have reviewed the points of the triangle represent the ground rods the three points are bonded together using a grounding electrode conductor.
The conductor forms a shape of a triangle by bonding them to the three ground rods.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
From what I have witnessed, I agree with david.
I see prints occasionally showing the triangular ground arrangement on all types of services.

Status
Not open for further replies.