Vehicle mounted generator grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

rojay

Our company has been asked to supply back up power for some cell equipment located in the penthouse of an 8 floor building. Specifically there are two rectifier racks each with a max AC rated current of 36.4 amps that need to be fed. They are both single phase loads fed from a 120/240 volt three phase high leg delta panel. The generator is a trailer mounted 50kva setup. This is for temporary power to accomodate some rooftop equipment maintenance that is going on. We were planning on running a #2-3 conductor SO cord up the side of the building and back feeding a 2 pole 100 amp breaker at the panel supplying the rectifiers. The run is approx. 250 ft so I know voltage drop will be a factor. There seems to be some play in the rectifier supply voltage though. The minimum operating voltage is 180 volts, so I think I will be covered even with voltage drop. Utility power will be locked out, so I believe transfer equipment is not necessary. 250.34 B has me kind of confused though. If I connect the generator to the panel via the SO cord ground wire- isnt it now connected to a grounding electrode? Am I missing anything? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
When calculating the effects of voltage drop, you need to know the current profile/distortion power factor of the rectifier banks.
The peak current may be much higher than the average.
Just knowing the crest factor of the current waveform would be a good guide.

Tapatalk...

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... If I connect the generator to the panel via the SO cord ground wire- isnt it now connected to a grounding electrode? Am I missing anything? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Yes, it is connected to the building GES. Without a switched neutral it will not be a separately derived system. With a #2 supply-side bonding jumper (SSBJ), you are good to go. The SSBJ is only required to be #8.

However, if you only run 3/C SO, you are only supplying 240. If the generator isn't center grounded (i.e. for 120/240 output), that'd be non-compliant. It'd also be non-compliant if you happen to supply any 120V loads, even if inadvertently. Check every possibility. If there's even a chance you can supply a 120V load, run 4/C SO, and isolate neutral from ground at gennie.

Last edited:

rojay

However, if you only run 3/C SO, you are only supplying 240. If the generator isn't center grounded (i.e. for 120/240 output), that'd be non-compliant. It'd also be non-compliant if you happen to supply any 120V loads, even if inadvertently. Check every possibility. If there's even a chance you can supply a 120V load, run 4/C SO, and isolate neutral from ground at gennie.[/QU

Thanks for the advise. Generator is center grounded 120/240 volt single phase. Only two 240 volt single phase loads are going to be fed via this setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.