Using RG-6 for CCTV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried used RG-6 coax instead of RG-59 for CCTV cameras using the special BNC connectors designed for RG-6 made by ICM? (Obviously, the RG-6 has to have a solid-copper center conductor.) I'm looking to save a few bucks and simplify my cable inventory.:happyyes:

Has anyone tried used RG-6 coax instead of RG-59 for CCTV cameras using the special BNC connectors designed for RG-6 made by ICM? (Obviously, the RG-6 has to have a solid-copper center conductor.)

I don't like using the "RG" numbers anymore because at this point they're practically meaningless in terms of actual quality. About all "RG-6" tells you is that it's 75 ohm, has a solid 18g center conductor, and is about .27" OD. Doesn't say anything about the overall quality (dielectric, shielding, jacket, etc) although it used to. You can use any 75 ohm coax for the NTSC video, some are easier to work with and some have lower loss, but good "RG-59" might work better than junk RG-6, at least over more than 50 feet. We've used Belden 8281 for high-end applications, it's similar to generic RG-6 but larger OD and generally better. Needs specific connectors and tooling.

Don't know about the ICM connectors, I usually use King or Amphenol.

Unless you have a lot of inventory cost, using the same cable for both isn't likely to save much. OTOH it will be harder to install. If the RG-6 you're using is really cheap, it might not produce a good picture at the far end; cable TV is more forgiving of loss than video.

Try this- take 1000' of each cable, put identical cameras at the end of each seeing the same scene, and look at the monitor. One will probably have more smearing and less detail. Could have some color shifts as well.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/rg6.htm has some interesting points

(z- who shouldn't post in the morning, but does anyway)

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Can't remember the manufacturer (so probably not very helpful ;) ) but we just tried BNC connectors on RG6 and it was a nightmare. We had bad connections on probably 40% of the connections. Apparently, the documentation that came with the connectors gave wrong info on termination procedures for the center conductor.

That being said, if you use quality cable, RG6 cable should give better picture quality than RG59. It has a higher bandwidth and lower loss. It is larger and slightly harder to work with, but IMO it's worth it. Also consider F-connector to BNC adapters for the ends of your cable; the F-connector terminations are a cinch to get right, and the adapters just screw onto the ends.

FYI, they also make baluns to send composite video down CAT-5/6 cable. You place a balun on either end of the run of CAT5, and they're transparent to the signal; they're also passive, so no additional power supplies needed. They are capable of significant distances. CAT5 is really easy to work with, and you can often leverage existing structured wiring in a building to get your signals where they need to go. Just make nice with the IT folks ;)

SceneryDriver

MAK

Make sure your RG6 cable has a 90% braid. I have seen installs using a 30% braided cable on longer runs (hence RG6) that had performance issues. Plus if you are ever going to use coaxial media converters to merge your customer into an IP system in the future, the lower braided cables don't seem to work as well with current coaxial media converters IMHO.
Other than that never had problems using RG6 and would not hesitate if the job called for it.

I've used ICM's BNC connectors on RG6. No termination problems at all--very easy using their compression tool--just as easy as their F connectors.

I see you noted solid copper center core for transmitting composite video--you are on the right route as you do not want to use copper clad steel which is what most all RG6 cable and satellite installs are. Copper clad center conductors work well for these RF type signals, but aren't really suitable, nor designed for composite video--they will, however, suffice for short distances. Braids are also a factor for composite video--as you would also want to use a copper shield with a 90% braid.

IMO you won't see any savings stocking an RG6 solid copper center conductor/ copper braid as it is typically quite a bit more in cost than RG59 of the same configuration or RG6 copper clad/ steel braid. It would, however, simplify you cable inventory as you stated--which may be more important to you. Also, you won't see any noticeable performance gains by going with the RG6 versus RG59 either for composite video, unless you are transmitting your video over long distances--at which point the larger 18awg center conductor of the RG6 would be an advantage. If you are transmitting over long distances--say 350' to 500' then CAT5/6 using passive baluns might be a better choice--not really from a performance standpoint over the RG6, but cost wise. Over 500', then look into active baluns.:thumbsup:

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
I don't like using the "RG" numbers anymore ...

Technically, they're not RG cables anyway. RG59, etc., was a MIL Spec cable. If something doesn't exactly meet specifications, technically it shouldn't be called that. The specs for RG cables called for a particular copper-braid shield, which most cables used today do not have.

All of the major manufacturers (including connector manufacturers) call them "Series X" cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.