wire colors

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven1987

hey guys just had a question. so my inspector came out and opened a four square box, I had a red wire coming into the box as a switch leg and it was jointed to a black wire from my mc cable feeding the light. He failed me because the wires were not the same color. He stated the black needed to be phased red or changed in every box so it was the same color in and out. And that was the case for any joint. I can't find the section anyone have a clue

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Do you have more than one voltage system in the building?

Assuming he has 480/277 BR/O/Y and has 120/208 BL/R/B and his wiring method is MC cable and lighting is 277V. OP will be in violation if he installed (Black/white) 2 conductor MC cable for his lighting?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I answered my question. 210.5(C)

(C) Identification of Ungrounded Conductors. Ungrounded conductors shall be identified in accordance with
210.5(C)(1), (2), and (3).

(1) Application. Where the premises wiring system has branch circuits supplied from more than one nominal voltage
system, each ungrounded conductor of a branch circuit shall be identified by phase or line and system at all termination,
connection, and splice points.

(2) Means of Identification. The means of identification shall be permitted to be by separate color coding, marking
tape, tagging, or other approved means.

kwired

Electron manager
hey guys just had a question. so my inspector came out and opened a four square box, I had a red wire coming into the box as a switch leg and it was jointed to a black wire from my mc cable feeding the light. He failed me because the wires were not the same color. He stated the black needed to be phased red or changed in every box so it was the same color in and out. And that was the case for any joint. I can't find the section anyone have a clue
Did he give you a code reference? As has been brought up, if there is more than one voltage system on the premises he may be able to enforce this, but if there is only one voltage system there isn't anything to go with on this.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist

You don't have to re-identify with red tape, you can use other means.

I don't know the same identification method has to be used through out the installation or you can use red tape in one place and a tag in another box, as long as you ID the tag as to what it is?:?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You don't have to re-identify with red tape, you can use other means.

I don't know the same identification method has to be used through out the installation or you can use red tape in one place and a tag in another box, as long as you ID the tag as to what it is?:?

What ever identification method(s) you use, they must be shown on the posted information at each panel. The code does not restrict you to the use of a single method of identifying the conductors as to phase and system. As long as all of the methods you are using are shown, you are in compliance with the code.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That would help.
But even if there was only one voltage system (either 120/240 3-wire or 208Y/120 4-wire), would you have to uniquely and consistently color a particular phase?
Or, as long as it is not a multiwire circuit, are you allowed to use any color from the chosen set regardless of which of the phases it is?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
That would help.
But even if there was only one voltage system (either 120/240 3-wire or 208Y/120 4-wire), would you have to uniquely and consistently color a particular phase?
Or, as long as it is not a multiwire circuit, are you allowed to use any color from the chosen set regardless of which of the phases it is?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
If there is only one voltage system there is nothing in NEC to prevent you from using three of the same color(pick whatever you want just don't use white, grey or green) and a neutral for a MWBC.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
That would help.
IMO No. Try to stay consistent as you can but on the job circumstances have a refining effect on ones idealism.
Yes. Using off colors as switch legs, travellers, emergency circuits are common for me. I have also been known to use all one color, for line side and different color for load when it is helpful.

I have also spliced black/white MC cable in j-boxes fed with 277V BOY for light fixtures, switch loops and other what-evers. That is probably against code but it's common practice here. Anybody that has any business opening one of those boxes ought to have no trouble.

jumper

I have also spliced black/white MC cable in j-boxes fed with 277V BOY for light fixtures, switch loops and other what-evers.

Don't tell any one, but me too.

That is probably against code but it's common practice here.

We will both burn in heck for all eternity.:D

Anybody that has any business opening one of those boxes ought to have no trouble.

Agreed.

kwired

Electron manager
IMO No. Try to stay consistent as you can but on the job circumstances have a refining effect on ones idealism.
Yes. Using off colors as switch legs, travellers, emergency circuits are common for me. I have also been known to use all one color, for line side and different color for load when it is helpful.

I have also spliced black/white MC cable in j-boxes fed with 277V BOY for light fixtures, switch loops and other what-evers. That is probably against code but it's common practice here. Anybody that has any business opening one of those boxes ought to have no trouble.
There is nothing in there me to disagree with.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
There is little in the NEC that has to do with color coding of ungrounded conductors. 210.5 that Iwire alluded to does not sound like it applies to your situation. Try asking the inspector for the code section.
True, but AHJ's (A's HJ?) frequently have addenda to the NEC where colors are specified.

mwm1752

True, but AHJ's (A's HJ?) frequently have addenda to the NEC where colors are specified.

Always the angry one Gunn -- Never hear of switch legs or ungrounded conductors required to be color coded unless more than 1 voltage system. Unfortunately, if you antagonize the wrong individual 110.12 & 90.4 have a wide interpretation. I'm sure some " " can witness to that (not that I agree with emotions being a factor in inspections.)

Status
Not open for further replies.