GFCI protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a cord connected 240 volt commercial dishwasher required to be GFCI protected. The inspector called it out but I always thought dedicated circuits for specific equipment were exceptions. It seems to read that way in the NEC anyone know exact sections of code?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I can't think of any 240 volt application that requires GFCI protection. 210.8 is limited to 125 volt rated receptacles. I read through the index under GFCI, and found nothing that would apply to your installation.

Welcome to the forum.

kwired

Electron manager
Is a cord connected 240 volt commercial dishwasher required to be GFCI protected. The inspector called it out but I always thought dedicated circuits for specific equipment were exceptions. It seems to read that way in the NEC anyone know exact sections of code?

210.8(B) calls for GFCI protection of all 15 and 20 amp 125 volt receptacles in non dwelling unit kitchens.

Your 240 volt receptacle does not fit this description, and there is no other section that would require it for this application either.

jumper

I can't think of any 240 volt application that requires GFCI protection.

I can.:cool:

680.21(C) GFCI Protection. Outlets supplying pool pump motors
connected to single-phase, 120 volt through 240 volt branch
circuits, rated 15 or 20 amperes, whether by receptacle or by
direct connection, shall be provided with ground-fault circuitinterrupter
protection for personnel.

kwired

Electron manager
I can't think of any 240 volt application that requires GFCI protection. 210.8 is limited to 125 volt rated receptacles. I read through the index under GFCI, and found nothing that would apply to your installation.

Welcome to the forum.

There are GFCI requirements for specific applications, some of which may include 240 volt applications, but no general requirements in 210.8. Some examples are for temporary construction receptacle applications, spa's, hydromassage tubs, swimming pool equipment, power washers that are cord and plug connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.