Splices in a NEMA 3R Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_picard

If mounted outdoors, do the splices need to be made with an "outdoor rated" connector?

I am currently using Burndy/Polaris tap blocks, which come from the factory with anti-ox grease in each terminal. Would you consider this code compliant?

Thanks

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If mounted outdoors, do the splices need to be made with an "outdoor rated" connector?

I am currently using Burndy/Polaris tap blocks, which come from the factory with anti-ox grease in each terminal. Would you consider this code compliant?
Just as conductors in raceways outdoors have to be identified as suitable for outdoor conditions (wet), so does all associated equipment, including splice blocks.
110.11 Deteriorating Agents. Unless identified for use in
the operating environment, no conductors or equipment
shall be located in damp or wet locations; where exposed to
gases, fumes, vapors, liquids, or other agents that have a
deteriorating effect on the conductors or equipment; or
where exposed to excessive temperatures.
However, I would say this requirement is often ignored regarding splicing and terminals in outdoor enclosures. :blink:

Last edited:

c_picard

Thanks. I'll talk to the folks at Burndy, and see if their product is "identified" for use in a damp location.

There seems to be a bit of confusion on the listing of the J-box, it is a Hoffman 3R enclosure, which is labelled as "rain proof", and the conduit connected to it is EMT w/raintight fittings. I do wonder why the interior of an enclosure that is rainproof would be considered wet.

iwire

Staff member
Just as conductors in raceways outdoors have to be identified as suitable for outdoor conditions (wet), so does all associated equipment, including splice blocks.

However, I would say this requirement is often ignored regarding splicing and terminals in outdoor enclosures. :blink:

Where do I buy outdoor identified breakers or fuses to use in 3R panels or disconnects?

Not picking on smart here, it just seemed like the best post to quote for my question.

c_picard

Exactly.

I just read through some extensive archived posts on this damp vs. wet topic. Wow, I had no idea this was so controversial.

A while back, a company I worked for had some failures of Polaris connectors due to inadequate application of anti-ox compund from the factory. These connectors were, and still are used extensively in solar PV applications. The photos of different failures have been widely circulated, and this may be the cause for concern. I now use the Burndy version of the same type of terminal block, and have for many installations with great success. This practice is so common, I never even thought that these connectors may not be suitable for the enviroment in which they are used.

It seems like moving to a direct-burial terminal is way overkill, but perhaps that is the only code-compliant method? Those are the only terminal blocks that I see rated for a wet location.

480sparky

Just as conductors in raceways outdoors have to be identified as suitable for outdoor conditions (wet), so does all associated equipment, including splice blocks.However, I would say this requirement is often ignored regarding splicing and terminals in outdoor enclosures. :blink:

You install splices in raceways? :blink:

The interiors of raceways installed in wet locations may be considered wet locations by the NEC, but the interiors of enclosures installed in wet locations are not.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Where do I buy outdoor identified breakers or fuses to use in 3R panels or disconnects?
Wouldn't these items be considered identified for use outdoors under the assembly listing... i.e. the panels or disconnects are listed for outdoor use and the breakers or fuses suitable for use within are part of the listing (though marketed and sold separately).

Not picking on smart here, it just seemed like the best post to quote for my question.
Thanks for not picking on me... :lol:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
.... so does all associated equipment, including splice blocks.

There are really only two choices when it comes to conductor insulation systems when installed in raceways Dry or Wet. It would not make any sense to refer to the inside of 'conduits' by any other descriptor.

One of the primary purposes of an enclosure is to 'provide a degree of protection' of the equipment inside the enclosure.
You may want to look into the 'test' criteria for different enclosure types.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
There are really only two choices when it comes to conductor insulation systems when installed in raceways Dry or Wet. It would not make any sense to refer to the inside of 'conduits' by any other descriptor.

One of the primary purposes of an enclosure is to 'provide a degree of protection' of the equipment inside the enclosure.
You may want to look into the 'test' criteria for different enclosure types.
I am aware of some of the test procedures. However, I'm not aware of any that establish the inside of a NEMA 3R rated enclosure installed outside as a dry location under the NEC.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

Thanks
I'm not aware of a requirement except as in 314.30 for handholes. Like iwire said, what about breakers, etc., where would this stop?
It seems to me that since it was made clear in the code that a raceway installed outdoors that the interior of the raceway is a wet location has led to other confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.