Generator Pickup and Drop out

Status
Not open for further replies.

jes25

Can someone help me understand what this means. If I have a 80% pickup and a 60% drop out setting on a transfer switch, when exactly will the genset turn on and take the load, and when will it accept utility again?

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
Basic ATS Sequence of Events

Basic ATS Sequence of Events

Can someone help me understand what this means. If I have a 80% pickup and a 60% drop out setting on a transfer switch, when exactly will the genset turn on and take the load, and when will it accept utility again?

I will try to be simple here and based on the info you gave, I will state the obvious.
Transfer switches monitor voltage and frequency of the sources that are connected to them. The sensing you are describing I am assuming refers to the normal source voltage sensing. This means that when the nominal voltage on the normal source (usually utility) drops below 60% the transfer sequence of events starts: engine start time delay, V & F accepted by ATS, load transfer to genset. All of these settings are adjustable to fit the application.
When the normal source voltage reaches 80% of nominal (208, 240, 480V etc) a timer starts and after time out the ATS transfer the load back to the normal source. This is true of single phase or 3 phase systems. Aside from voltage monitoring ATS's can monitor frequency and voltage phase imbalance. The application all has to do with the nature of the load and how critical it is to sustain continuous, clean power.

jes25

I will try to be simple here and based on the info you gave, I will state the obvious.
Transfer switches monitor voltage and frequency of the sources that are connected to them. The sensing you are describing I am assuming refers to the normal source voltage sensing. This means that when the nominal voltage on the normal source (usually utility) drops below 60% the transfer sequence of events starts: engine start time delay, V & F accepted by ATS, load transfer to genset. All of these settings are adjustable to fit the application.
When the normal source voltage reaches 80% of nominal (208, 240, 480V etc) a timer starts and after time out the ATS transfer the load back to the normal source. This is true of single phase or 3 phase systems. Aside from voltage monitoring ATS's can monitor frequency and voltage phase imbalance. The application all has to do with the nature of the load and how critical it is to sustain continuous, clean power.

Simple, clear answer. I appreciate that. I was having trouble understanding why there was two percentages listed, but I get it now. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.