Wire leads installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecmen

Occupation
Electrician
Installed a outside sub panel to feed some outside lighting. I also installed a photo eye in this panel to control this lighting. Question is this can I put the photo eye leads (black) under the circuit breaker screw and the (white) under the neutral bar screw?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Installed a outside sub panel to feed some outside lighting. I also installed a photo eye in this panel to control this lighting. Question is this can I put the photo eye leads (black) [two?] under the circuit breaker screw and the (white) under the neutral bar screw?
How many wires total coming out of the eye?
In other words, is it designed to mount in series with the load, in one supply wire, or does it have both line and load wires?
Look at the installation instructions please before you hurt yourself.
If it has two black wires and one white wire, then what you propose will just not provide any power to the lights.
Is there a reason you cannot ask the person who is supervising your apprenticeship?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
White to the neutral bar, no problem as long as there is not a second wire under the screw and the terminal bar is rated for a wire as small as the P cell neutral.
Black to the breaker ..pretty much same story. How many and what size wires is the breaker rated.

elecmen

Occupation
Electrician
This is a standard photo control rated 15a 120v with 3 leads black (hot) white (neutral) and red (load). Standard Siemens single pole breaker (1wire).

elecmen

Occupation
Electrician
I don't know where the 2 wires under the circuit breaker came from only would be installing the 1 black led from the photo eye

Status
Not open for further replies.