Lighting and Receptacle Loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wattman

I understand that Lighting Loads and Recepeptacle Loads must be kept separate for calculation of the overall Panel or Service requirements.

But does it state anywhere in the code, that you have to actually keep the lighting loads separate in the wiring design?

I recently completed and submitted for approval, an electrical drawing package for an office building on an industrial site. The building had 8 private offices, each contained 4 outlets and (2)3-bulb over head fluorescent fixtures. I put each office on a 20A breaker and fed the office light switch from the same circuit.

This would seam perfect to me, allowing for the likelihood of the occupant using one of those small ceramic heaters under their desk. I had another project where those became a issue in office that contained a lot of cubicles and women with cold feet.

Anyway I would not normal ask such a question, but this customer has to many eyes on it and the smallest detail can become the most confused mess, when various people put their spin on their interpretation of the code.

Thanks in advance for everyone opinion!

kwired

Electron manager
There is no general rule stating they must be separate.

There is no general rule stating they must be combined.

There are specific instances where one or the other are assigned a load value, but could still possibly have both on a particular branch circuit.

How is that for taking muddy water and then leaving it still muddy?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Does your lighting need to be connected to a Required Emergency backup system of some type? otherwise no its fine.

mwm1752

There is no general rule stating they must be separate.

There is no general rule stating they must be combined.

There are specific instances where one or the other are assigned a load value, but could still possibly have both on a particular branch circuit.

How is that for taking muddy water and then leaving it still muddy?

Agree -- The customer is always right add a 20a circuit for heat if the request is made -- The building design is supposed to deal with heating & cooling and this sounds like a personal request --

Status
Not open for further replies.