Receptacles in Stairwells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Perfectly compliant. In fact someone posted that they had a very large landing and the inspector required a receptacle.. Notice I said the inspector req. it not the nec.

kwired

Electron manager
Perfectly compliant. In fact someone posted that they had a very large landing and the inspector required a receptacle.. Notice I said the inspector req. it not the nec.
Point taken, but when is it a landing vs. a room, or similar definition. I could claim an entire 1200 square foot floor of a dwelling is a landing for the steps, but I doubt anyone will believe that either:) More realistically some lofts could easily be confused as a landing or not a landing.

eprice

Is it a code violation to install receptacles in stairwells? If so, where is it stated.

Are you asking about residential or non-residential stairwells? It's not a violation in either case, but if you're asking about non-residential stairwells, I think the confusion may come from a section in the building code. IBC Section 122.5 generally prohibits penetrations into or through a rated stair enclosure, but it does allow electrical penetrations that serve the stairway. So, a receptacle would not be prohibited, but it is possible that someone could miss read this and use it to prohibit the receptacle.

kwired

Electron manager
but it is possible that someone could miss read this and use it to prohibit the receptacle.

That is when you smack them in the head and ask why it is allowed to have lighting, switches, fire alarm devices, sprinkler penetrations, elevator controls, security devices, and so forth.

mgookin

This is from Florida, 2010, the basis of which is the ICC.
SECTION 1020 EXITS

1020.1 General.

Exits shall comply with Sections 1020 through 1026 and the applicable requirements of Sections 1003 through 1013. An exit shall not be used for any purpose that interferes with its function as a means of egress. Once a given level of exit protection is achieved, such level of protection shall not be reduced until arrival at the exit discharge.

That replaces previous code edition language which stated that stairwells can only be used for exiting (you don't set up the laundry lady's ironing station in a rated stairwell).

kwired

Electron manager
This is from Florida, 2010, the basis of which is the ICC.
SECTION 1020 EXITS

1020.1 General.

Exits shall comply with Sections 1020 through 1026 and the applicable requirements of Sections 1003 through 1013. An exit shall not be used for any purpose that interferes with its function as a means of egress. Once a given level of exit protection is achieved, such level of protection shall not be reduced until arrival at the exit discharge.

That replaces previous code edition language which stated that stairwells can only be used for exiting (you don't set up the laundry lady's ironing station in a rated stairwell).
Kind of makes sense, now can we have a receptacle at a landing in this egress stairwell for using a vacuum or floor polisher? Or are we supposed to run a cord to somewhere outside the area when performing such tasks?

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Kind of makes sense, now can we have a receptacle at a landing in this egress stairwell for using a vacuum or floor polisher? Or are we supposed to run a cord to somewhere outside the area when performing such tasks?

Yes as long as it meets the rating of the wall type 2 hour rating

Status
Not open for further replies.