IEC Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

A CE marking requires that I do not use any wire nuts. Instead, I should use IEC rated connectors. Can anyone please recommend some IEC rated connectors that I can use instead of wire nuts?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
A CE marking requires that I do not use any wire nuts. Instead, I should use IEC rated connectors. Can anyone please recommend some IEC rated connectors that I can use instead of wire nuts?

What at is the CE marking?

fmtjfw

The devices are rated at 10 amps and use a 1/8" straight blade screwdriver to make the connections. They can be cut apart for the proper count and mounted using the screw holes between the connectors. The things I saw used for wire nuts in Germany (in electrical wiring) looked like this:

Attachments

• DE_conn_block.jpg
    DE_conn_block.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 0

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What IEC standard?

I have to ask because Ideal wire nuts are IEC 998-2-4.

Besoeker

What IEC standard?

IEC60695-2 since you ask.
I do remember ceramic wire nuts, Scruits, but I haven't seen them used here for forty years. We use the plastic terminal strip shown above when it is needed but that isn't often.
Most fittings come equipped with enough terminals to terminate all the conductors likely to be landed there.

This is the back plate of a typical ceiling rose. No nuts required.

fifty60

The problem I am having is Compressors that do not have long enough lead wires to reach the equipment subpanel. I am having to splice the lead wires for extra length. I have pressure switches that are the same. They come with small leads and need to be wire nutted with scruits. I am trying to find something inexpensive and meets the aformentioned IEC standar Besoeker mentioned..

Besoeker

The problem I am having is Compressors that do not have long enough lead wires to reach the equipment subpanel. I am having to splice the lead wires for extra length. I have pressure switches that are the same. They come with small leads and need to be wire nutted with scruits. I am trying to find something inexpensive and meets the aformentioned IEC standar Besoeker mentioned..

The ones I looked at are about ?1-00 ($1-60) each.

fifty60

We can use Butt-splices as long as we use shrink tubing to adhere the casing to the insulation. You can also buy the butt splices with the shrink tubing insulation.

For wire nuts, the options are more limited. I would like to find a simple connector like what is shown below, that can be used for multiple connections and have the proper IEC ratings for a CE mark to replace wire nuts. Any recommendations?

[/QUOTE]

fifty60

wago.jpg

I like the above Wago 222 series. I am still trying to find out if they are acceptable under the Low Voltage Directive as a connector...

Attachments

• wago.jpg
    wago.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 0

fifty60

If someone could please comment on these Wago connectors I would appreciate it. I would like to use them inplace of wire nuts, hoping that they do not invalidate a CE Marking.

They carry an ENEC safety approval.

http://www.wago.us/2631.htm

If anyone could recommend anything else to use, I would appreciate that as well.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If someone could please comment on these Wago connectors I would appreciate it. I would like to use them inplace of wire nuts, hoping that they do not invalidate a CE Marking.

They carry an ENEC safety approval.

http://www.wago.us/2631.htm

If anyone could recommend anything else to use, I would appreciate that as well.
I like their design and the associated benefits... as published and reported. But I've not had occasion to use any. Not that I couldn't or wouldn't. Simply has not been at my discretion in most cases. In situations where I could have used them, I would have had to order them vs. using what was already on hand or readily available.

fifty60

I have heard that they are used a lot in Europe. I am hoping to find some confirmation that they are acceptable to use on CE Marked equipment, since wire nuts are forbidden.

PetrosA

I would think the Wagos should be fine, although I don't ever recall seeing them used much over there. More common would be terminal strips, which differ a bit from ours in that it's assumed end ferrules will be used on stranded wires and the terminal strips don't have a protective "plate" between the screw and wire. The ones fmtjfw showed would be closest to what I've seen over there. A more expensive (but heavier duty) option would be DIN components. Take a look here:

http://www.altechcorp.com/PDFS/New_Blocks/SCREW.pdf

fifty60

I am trying to not have to use a din rail. These connections are all made off of my sub panel where all of the din rail is located. Alltech looks interesting, we generally use Phoenix Contact but I will have a look at their offerings.

I believe it is the lever technology of the Wago blocks plus the fact they carry the ENEC label that goes a long ways toward being able to defend their use in a technical file for CE marked products.

PetrosA

I am trying to not have to use a din rail. These connections are all made off of my sub panel where all of the din rail is located. Alltech looks interesting, we generally use Phoenix Contact but I will have a look at their offerings.

I believe it is the lever technology of the Wago blocks plus the fact they carry the ENEC label that goes a long ways toward being able to defend their use in a technical file for CE marked products.

I see. I wasn't trying to push any particular brand - I just grabbed the first link that showed some pretty pictures :)

Status
Not open for further replies.