splicing service conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKoehl

Does the NEC prohibit splicing service wires or is that a poco rule?

At my condo there is a two gang meter base that needs to be replaced, the service comes off the transformer underground DB and under a patio slab to the meter base. The replacement base is larger and the lugs are in a different place that will cause the existing service wire to too short. The meter base is already low to the ground so I do not think lowing the base would-be an option. Any thoughts on how the meter base could be replaced without digging up back to the transformer?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Does the NEC prohibit splicing service wires or is that a poco rule?

At my condo there is a two gang meter base that needs to be replaced, the service comes off the transformer underground DB and under a patio slab to the meter base. The replacement base is larger and the lugs are in a different place that will cause the existing service wire to too short. The meter base is already low to the ground so I do not think lowing the base would-be an option. Any thoughts on how the meter base could be replaced without digging up back to the transformer?

That isn't POCO's lateral?

mwm1752

Here the POCO would have juristiction on the method used -- or if they would allow it since it is prior to the service point -- most of the time ownership is determined on who installed the secondary lateral. There are 3 POCO's in this area & only one will install the underground lateral.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Here the POCO would have juristiction on the method used -- or if they would allow it since it is prior to the service point -- most of the time ownership is determined on who installed the secondary lateral. There are 3 POCO's in this area & only one will install the underground lateral.

Now complicate it with practices by some POCO around here. Customer/contractor is responsible for installing the raceway (to POCO's specifications) but POCO provides and pulls conductors through the raceway. I don't recall how it is worded but they have it in writing that it becomes their equipment after it is installed, but they are responsible for maintenance of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.