Is an Individual Branch Circuit ever required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Can anyone think of a code article that explicitly calls for a circuit to supply one outlet and no others? I don?t mean such things as SABCs or the circuits that supply bathroom receptacles. These have restrictions about connecting other outlets, but I can put two or more kitchen countertop receptacles on the same circuit. The rule does not say, ?one circuit, one outlet.? I also do not mean cases in which an item of equipment draws so much current that trying to put two of them on the same circuit would exceed the circuit?s limit, so that we are essentially limited to only putting the one outlet on the circuit. The NEC has a reasonably clear definition of ?individual branch circuit,? but I know of no cases in which the NEC requires something to be on an individual branch circuit. Any thoughts?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Can anyone think of a code article that explicitly calls for a circuit to supply one outlet and no others? I don?t mean such things as SABCs or the circuits that supply bathroom receptacles. These have restrictions about connecting other outlets, but I can put two or more kitchen countertop receptacles on the same circuit. The rule does not say, ?one circuit, one outlet.? I also do not mean cases in which an item of equipment draws so much current that trying to put two of them on the same circuit would exceed the circuit?s limit, so that we are essentially limited to only putting the one outlet on the circuit. The NEC has a reasonably clear definition of ?individual branch circuit,? but I know of no cases in which the NEC requires something to be on an individual branch circuit. Any thoughts?

See 760.121(B). That is the only location I'm aware of that calls for an Individual Branch Circuit.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
See 760.121(B). That is the only location I'm aware of that calls for an Individual Branch Circuit.
But even there, it makes allowance for "equipment" to be plural. Would that allow us to provide power to two outlets, each involving fire alarm components, from the same circuit?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
But even there, it makes allowance for "equipment" to be plural. Would that allow us to provide power to two outlets, each involving fire alarm components, from the same circuit?

Interesting...I was looking at the 2008 which I had open. It looks like the language changed in 2011.

2008 said...
760.121(B) Branch Circuit. An individual branch circuit shall be require for the supply of the power source.

I guess with that language gone, there is no requirements for an individual branch circuit anywhere.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I did a PDF search, but I only have the older 2005 NEC on PDF.

I found:
210.52 exception #2
324.10A and B
422.10A

all mention individual branch circuits. I gave up at that point because I think there are a lot more, and I'm not sure if this is helpful, or not.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Interesting...I was looking at the 2008 which I had open. It looks like the language changed in 2011.
Oddly, I looked only at the 2011. Usually I start with 2008, since WA State is using that version. But the project for which this question arose uses the 2011, so I looked there first.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
. . .all mention individual branch circuits.
And in all but one of your examples, the language is permissive in nature. An individual branch circuit is not required, it is allowed. The exception is 422.12, but even there it makes allowances for other equipment to be supplied from the same circuit.

Thanks for all the responses.

construct

680.71 (Hydromassage Bathtubs)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Cord-and-plug-connected range hood ? 422.16(B)(4)(5), implicitly. If receptacle is supplied by individual branch circuit, the range hood has to be the one qualifying utilization equipment per definition.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Thanks again. I had hoped that there were no such requirements, but I see that there are at least a couple. I would put the range hood example in the catagory of permissive, rather than a requirement. We have the option of supplying the range hood as a hard wire, and that takes the individual branch circuit out of play. On the other hand, the hydromassage and pilot light examples are clearly stated in terms of "it shall be on an individual branch circuit."

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
422.12 Central Heating Equipment. Central heating
equipment other than fixed electric space-heating equipment
shall be supplied by an individual branch circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.