OCPD for Plug-in Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

I have some equipment that consists of solenoids, heaters, small motor, and fractional compressors. Their are 2 versions of this equipment. One for 115V sold primarily in the US and one sold at 220V for the European market.

Both pieces of equipment are plug-in types. The 115V plugs into a 20A socket, while the 220V plugs into a 15A European socket.

Do I need to have individual OCPD for my heaters, motors, compressors or is all of the overcurrent protection performed by the circuit breaker protecting the socket?

Is it acceptable, to UL, TUV, etc to only have the components protected by the outlets circuit breaker if all of the ampacities of the wire coordinated to the outlets circuit breaker?

Or, since the motors and compressors have internal thermal protection, would I still need to provide separate OCPD's for the heaters?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
For the US market presumably this stuff is UL listed. What UL says is what counts. I would say there is at least some chance you can get by w/o individual OCPD depending on what is actually there, how it is wired, and how it is configured.

I can't tell you much about the EU market, but there are people who make a living helping people like yourself who do not know what is acceptable there.

kwired

Electron manager
I have some equipment that consists of solenoids, heaters, small motor, and fractional compressors. Their are 2 versions of this equipment. One for 115V sold primarily in the US and one sold at 220V for the European market.

Both pieces of equipment are plug-in types. The 115V plugs into a 20A socket, while the 220V plugs into a 15A European socket.

Do I need to have individual OCPD for my heaters, motors, compressors or is all of the overcurrent protection performed by the circuit breaker protecting the socket?

Is it acceptable, to UL, TUV, etc to only have the components protected by the outlets circuit breaker if all of the ampacities of the wire coordinated to the outlets circuit breaker?

Or, since the motors and compressors have internal thermal protection, would I still need to provide separate OCPD's for the heaters?
If you want a piece of equipment to be listed you need to find out what the listing requirements will be for that type of equipment. You still need to have it evaluated at some point, or if they are custom units instead of standard units you will need some kind of certification to build UL listed control panels at the very least. That still may not get you a listing for anything but the control panel though. Others with experience in this area will set this straight.

fifty60

My own personal interpretation of 61010 is that we need individual protection on the heaters for overload conditions. The motors are ok if they have thermal protection. Short circuit protection for everything is done at the receptacle, but overload protection has to be done for at risk circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.