penetrations through fondation

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtite

the forman on a job im on has three four inch holes that he core drilled going through the foundion,I noticed he didnt use any hydrolic cement or any type of sealant.IS it nessary to do so?wnt water come into the buildng the way he has it .his holes are tight to conduit but still.also he has a regular pullbox being burried flushed up to cover in cement dosnt the pb have to be rated in cement?

mgookin

It depends on the foundation. He's not allowed to compromise the footing without an engineer but to core through a stemwall is fine structurally in most instances. As to whether it needs to be water tight is a matter of whether the wall is a water barrier. If the wall is a water barrier, as would be the case when you have a basement, then yes, he needs to make that penetration water tight. We have plenty of stemwalls here in Florida which are not water barriers in which case it likely only needs to be rodent proof.

As to the box, can you elaborate on "buried flush up to cover"? I'm not understanding what you mean. If the box has to remain accessible then he can't render it inaccessible, obviously.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We usually use something like this:

pipeseal_diagram.jpg

liquidtite

Those fittings look efficient what are they called.does it tell you what size to drill hole so you can fit fitting around conduit? The pullbox will be compleat lay burried in cement up to the cover the box is accessible but he's using a pb that has concentric kos the type for dry locations ,I thought the box should be a thicker metal , but wasn't Shurets code

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Those fittings look efficient what are they called.does it tell you what size to drill hole so you can fit fitting around conduit?
The pictured ones are Flexicraft PipeSeals...

http://www.flexicraft.com/PipeSeals/

The website doesn't appear to have any sizing info.

The pullbox will be compleat lay burried in cement up to the cover the box is accessible but he's using a pb that has concentric kos the type for dry locations ,I thought the box should be a thicker metal , but wasn't Shurets code
Requirements for boxes in concrete are somewhat vague. At the very least the should be constructed of a material and/or provided with corrosion protection approved for the condition. If embedded in a concrete slab in direct contact with earth, it has to be suitable for a wet location in addition to the preceding.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Those type of pipe seals have removable sections to make them work with just about any size pipe. Not sure of the ratio of hole size to pipe size there might be something in Smart's link.

Status
Not open for further replies.