GFCI reversed polarity

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlnk

If the hot and neutral are reversed on a GFCI receptacle, will it still work to power appliances but provide no shock protection?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Since a GFCI receptacle will work just fine with a two wire connection and no EGC to provide a ground reference, it should also work fine with the terminals reversed.
However in the event of a ground fault it will trip but interrupt the neutral instead of the hot, limiting the protection you get from it.
You may notice the appliance stops working, but you may still get a shock.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Since a GFCI receptacle will work just fine with a two wire connection and no EGC to provide a ground reference, it should also work fine with the terminals reversed.
However in the event of a ground fault it will trip but interrupt the neutral instead of the hot, limiting the protection you get from it.
You may notice the appliance stops working, but you may still get a shock.

Are you sure that tripped GFCI receptacle only opens hot? I think I remember that neutral also opens.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Maybe the design changed with the application to ungrounded receptacles?

Can't speak to if they have always been that way or not, but all that I've dealt with opens both conductors.
I had one recently that failed. It failed closed, well half closed, as the hot remained closed and the neutral was open.

Status
Not open for further replies.