Insulation rating on cables vs 'abnormal' operating conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikezxb

I'm working with an automotive battery system that is advertised to have a voltage range of 432V and 593V between 0% and 100% SOC. The battery system has a protection parameter in place which disconnects the batteries if overcharged and/or the string voltage exceeds 602V. Would using a standard 600VDC rated wire satisfy NEC requirements given the intention to never overcharge the system? Or would I have to consider that the voltage may exceed 600V and use a 1000VDC rated cable?

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
I'd be comfortable with 600v wire. What's to prevent a 4kv line from accidentally shorting to the secondary feeders that feed my house (it's happened where I live during windstorms). Should I wire my entire house with 5kv wire?

SceneryDriver

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Also, where would you be getting 600V DC rated wire?
Standard wire rated for 600V AC can withstand DC at the peak voltage corresponding to 600V RMS.
That is about 850V. (600 x 1.414)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Also, where would you be getting 600V DC rated wire?
Standard wire rated for 600V AC can withstand DC at the peak voltage corresponding to 600V RMS.
That is about 850V. (600 x 1.414)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I agree.... 600V-rated wire is rated for AC voltage. That's why we use the 1000V setting on [DC] Meggers, which BTW somewhat proves it'll withstand, for the most part, voltages in excess of the AC peaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.