110.26 Application

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 100-amp breaker in the main panel supplies the ?L-2? panel which serves the second level of the dwelling. It is this (Level 2) panel which is the focus of the Code question. The panel is located near the doorway of the laundry room. A base cabinet lies below a bit more than 50 percent of the width of the panel. There is no floor obstruction other than the base cabinet. The door of the panel opens more than 90 degrees.

The panel is quite accessible (?Readily Accessible?) pursuant to Definitions in Article 100 of the Code as well as the elaboration thereon in the Handbook.

The panel is labeled as shown in the picture with the identification of the panel and the location and number of the of the breaker in the main panel (located a few steps away on the same level) by which the panel may be de-energized. The label also states that the supply can be locked out at the fused disconnect on the outside of the building. Thus it is clearly demonstrated that it would NEVER ?likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance while energized?.

Working space requirements are presented in 110.26(A)(1), (A)(2) and (A)(3) of the Code. Such requirements seem NOT to be applicable to this case as should be patently obvious from a careful reading of the passage. According to 110.26 (A), compliance with those tables is predicated on ?likely to require? that the equipment be worked hot. Further, the Handbook states explicitly in the second paragraph of the second shaded section on page 54 that ?Minimum working clearances are not required if the equipment is such that it is not likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized.? (italics by writer)

The aforementioned Tables could not be applicable to a single family dwelling laundry room based on the context as well as the ?Conditions? noted in Table 110.26(A)(1). Each of the Conditions has as a part, ?Exposed live parts...? which should certainly never be the case in the the laundry room of a single family dwelling. Further, it is clear by the context in the explanatory material that reference is not being made to household sub panels but rather to massive switchgear and the like (see illustrations on page 55 of the Handbook).

That there is more than sufficient working space for the subject panel as well as it being readily accessible can be illustrated by the ease with which the electrical contractor replaced a damaged/defective AFCI breaker in the panel AFTER the base cabinet had been installed below it for some time.
Based on the information above and any other facts or citations you may choose from the Code or the Handbook,

Would you ?pass? or ?fail? the installation? If you would ?fail? the installation, what would be your basis (Code and/or Handbook citations would be greatly appreciated.)

IMG_0460.jpg
CIMG5891.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
From the NECH:

workingspace.jpg

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In my opinion all electrical equipment is likely to be to worked on while energized. It fails, as the others have said, on the 110.26(A) rules.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In my opinion all electrical equipment is likely to be to worked on while energized. It fails, as the others have said, on the 110.26(A) rules.

There is a limit on how far you can push this, of course. Do you need working clearance around countertop receptacles and sconce type luminaires, for example?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Or just as validly a bad place for a counter extension

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Agree with golddigger.

Probably the panel was there way before the counter got installed.

None the less it is a violation of the 110.26 and it violates the definition of "readily accessible"

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Such requirements seem NOT to be applicable to this case as should be patently obvious from a careful reading of the passage. According to 110.26 (A), compliance with those tables is predicated on ?likely to require? that the equipment be worked hot. Further, the Handbook states explicitly in the second paragraph of the second shaded section on page 54 that ?Minimum working clearances are not required if the equipment is such that it is not likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized.? (italics by writer)

The aforementioned Tables could not be applicable to a single family dwelling laundry room based on the context as well as the ?Conditions? noted in Table 110.26(A)(1). ...</snip>...

Would you ?pass? or ?fail? the installation? If you would ?fail? the installation, what would be your basis (Code and/or Handbook citations would be greatly appreciated.)

You are correct your are exempt under 110.26(A), however that panel is also a switchboard and is required to comply with 110.26 by 2011 NEC 408.18(B). So I would cite 408.18(B)
Cheers

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is not inspector in my area that would ever agree with you that a panel is exempt.

I agree.

You are correct your are exempt under 110.26(A), however that panel is also a switchboard and is required to comply with 110.26 by 2011 NEC 408.18(B). So I would cite 408.18(B)
Cheers

The equipment in the photo is a panelboard not a switchboard.

mwm1752

The OP did not say it was a new installation -- There was a time in code the install was compliant and if this is true the panel is not required to move in a remodel if it is not upgraded -- He also stated the designation of signage that explicidly brought up a lockable option which is maybe a AHJ way of allowing the install( I would not of allowed) -- or more than likely the panel was there prior to countertop as mentioned before -- By current code standards this is a violation as all over current devices are "likely" to be energized when troubleshooting for electrical problems

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There is a limit on how far you can push this, of course. Do you need working clearance around countertop receptacles and sconce type luminaires, for example?
As the section is currently written, yes. That is part of my point, the section needs a lot of work, but the CMP has not accepted reasonable changes to the rule, for example limiting it to specific equipment as in 110.26(E).

Switchboard vs Panelboard

Switchboard vs Panelboard

Thanks Tortuga for the guidance to 408.18(B) [in section II] of 408. I hadn't considered that passage. As I read it, I looked across the page to section III of 408 regarding Panelboards. From there I went back to Definitions in Article 100. From the definitions I clearly have a panelboard and not a switchboard. The passage on clearances (408.18) in Section II (Switchboards) does not seem to have a counterpart passage
in Section III (Panelboards).

Thanks again for your interest. Yours was the only reply with a citation from the Code. That was what I had hoped to get.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Thanks Tortuga for the guidance to 408.18(B) [in section II] of 408. I hadn't considered that passage. As I read it, I looked across the page to section III of 408 regarding Panelboards. From there I went back to Definitions in Article 100. From the definitions I clearly have a panelboard and not a switchboard. The passage on clearances (408.18) in Section II (Switchboards) does not seem to have a counterpart passage
in Section III (Panelboards).

Thanks again for your interest. Yours was the only reply with a citation from the Code. That was what I had hoped to get.

I guess the items in red below were just from a comic book or something!:)
Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Agree with golddigger.

Probably the panel was there way before the counter got installed.

None the less it is a violation of the 110.26 and it violates the definition of "readily accessible"

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I guess the items in red below were just from a comic book or something!:)
Oh, and welcome to the forum!

It was also mentioned (110.26) in the OP four times but in keeping with the Christmas spirit lets take it easy on the new guy. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.