Is an Individual Branch Circuit ever required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Can anyone think of a code article that explicitly calls for a circuit to supply one outlet and no others? I don?t mean such things as SABCs or the circuits that supply bathroom receptacles. These have restrictions about connecting other outlets, but I can put two or more kitchen countertop receptacles on the same circuit. The rule does not say, ?one circuit, one outlet.? I also do not mean cases in which an item of equipment draws so much current that trying to put two of them on the same circuit would exceed the circuit?s limit, so that we are essentially limited to only putting the one outlet on the circuit. The NEC has a reasonably clear definition of ?individual branch circuit,? but I know of no cases in which the NEC requires something to be on an individual branch circuit. Any thoughts?

422.12 Central Heating Equipment. Central heating
equipment other than fixed electric space-heating equipment
shall be supplied by an individual branch circuit.

No outlet is required for 422.12 unless the disconnect rule applies. 422.31(C)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
422.12 Central Heating Equipment. Central heating
equipment other than fixed electric space-heating equipment
shall be supplied by an individual branch circuit.

No outlet is required for 422.12 unless the disconnect rule applies. 422.31(C)

Receptacle is not allowed. I guess I never looked at the equipment as an outlet.

Code reference please. A unit could be listed to be cord connected .
I'd almost say it has to be. Read the requirement carefully. It says "Central heating equipment OTHER THAN FIXED electric space-heating equipment...". Can anyone think of any central space heating equipment which is not fixed [in place] equipment?

But getting back to the point of the OP, as Charlie pointed out, the qualifying term equipment can refer to one or more items. An Individual Branch Circuit is one that supplies only one utilization equipment. Several items can qualify as one utilization equipment. So more than one outlet may apply even though an individual branch circuit is specified.

Status
Not open for further replies.