2014 National Electrical Code Handbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgeback

I have the electronic PDF version of the 2014 NECH and I found no Index in it, as in the hard copy. Am I missing something? Why is the Index not in the electronic version? I understand that the NECH is also available as an Ebook. Do you have that copy? :)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
An index is irelevant in a PDF since you can search for any word.

I would say that it is not required, but I would not say that it is irrelevant.
A search for a single word can give you hundreds of hits, while a search for that word in the index may only point to a few pages. If the index entry is the one you want, that saves a lot of time
So that can work well if you are looking for a major section on a subject rather than an incidental reference.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I have the electronic PDF version of the 2014 NECH and I found no Index in it, as in the hard copy. Am I missing something? Why is the Index not in the electronic version? I understand that the NECH is also available as an Ebook. Do you have that copy? :)

Are you using an iPad or iPhone?

Because the app is great.:thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum..:)

ridgeback

2014 NECH Index

2014 NECH Index

I would say that it is not required, but I would not say that it is irrelevant.
A search for a single word can give you hundreds of hits, while a search for that word in the index may only point to a few pages. If the index entry is the one you want, that saves a lot of time
So that can work well if you are looking for a major section on a subject rather than an incidental reference.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Here's an example I found in the PDF 2014 NECH with this Article 100 Commentary under the definition of:

"Disconnecting Means. A device, or group of devices, or other means by which the conductors of a circuit can be disconnectedfrom their source of supply."

Commentary: See also references for disconnecting means in the index.

kwired

Electron manager
Here's an example I found in the PDF 2014 NECH with this Article 100 Commentary under the definition of:

"Disconnecting Means. A device, or group of devices, or other means by which the conductors of a circuit can be disconnectedfrom their source of supply."

Commentary: See also references for disconnecting means in the index.

Good example of why a pdf file (or any other electronic version) of a printed document still needs to include the entire document as printed. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.