'Earthing' Products, Value or Scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Hello,

Someone has posed the question to me about the validity of the claims made by the company that sells the 'Earthing' line of products. Thus far I am skeptical but was wondering what your thoughts were. Below is from the FAQ page on their website.

Thank you,

http://www.earthing.com/default.asp

Q. What is the difference between the Earth?s electric field and the electric field used to conduct electricity in my home? ?
A. The Earth?s electric field is mainly a continuous direct current (DC) producing field. Throughout history, life on the planet has attuned our biology to this subtle field. By comparison, home wiring systems in the U.S. use 60-cycle per second alternating current (AC). Unless at very low frequency (less that 10 cycles per second) and/or low power, alternating current is foreign to our biology. AC, and other forms of man-made environmental electromagnetic fields (EMFs) are being researched as possible factors in a variety of stress-related responses. Many people are sensitive to EMFs. Studies show an ?association,? but not cause and effect, between living near power lines (or exposure to EMFs on the job) and higher rates of health problems. ?

Q. How much ?current? is actually being transferred from the Earth's surface via the wire to a grounding product?
A. There is no constant measurable current flow beyond the equalization charge that is instantly transferred to the body when a person lies on a conductive sheet or makes contact with another type of Earthing product. We are talking about numbers of electrons in the trillions and quadrillions. Once the body is grounded, the rate of influx changes, and the body will only absorb that amount of electrons needed to maintain the same electrical potential as the Earth and to restore what is lost in the body?s metabolic processes. It may take many quadrillions to get the body stable. As long as a person continues to be grounded, the body can use the Earth as a natural reservoir, or ?power source,? of electrons to maintain a ?topped up? homeostatic level that compensates for any attrition of internal electrons. With connection to the Earth, it would thus seem hard for the body to develop any electron deficiency, and, theoretically, any chronic inflammation. The actual amount of charge (electrons transferred) would vary significantly based upon location of the body above the Earth (voltage) and any potential electrostatic charge that has built up on the body. The continuing amount of electrons absorbed by the body to reduce metabolic and immune response free radicals would also vary significantly between people depending upon their life style and activity. This is all extremely difficult, if not impossible, to measure.

kwired

Electron manager
Even without man intervening, mother nature moves a lot of electrons around herself, it is occasionally displayed via lightning incidents.

The sun bombards us with EMF's also, maybe not the same thing as 60 cycle AC current EMF's, but some of it is less hazardous and some of it is much more hazardous.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Scam? Perhaps not, if they send you what they are telling you they will send you, then it is not a "scam." Please note that that is not the same thing as saying their product will do what the advertisements are suggesting it will do. Please also note that an advertisement can lead you to believe a product can do something that it cannot really do, without the advertisement actually telling any lies. I am inclined to believe that if you buy it, and use it, and subsequently feel better, it will only be because you believed it would make you feel better. I am willing to suggest that if a scientific experiment were conducted that involved some people getting to use the product and others only thinking they were using the product, or that involved the same people using the product and being told that from time to time it would be disconnected and other times connected, there would be no evidence that the people actually using it while it was connected would be able to discern the difference.

Worth the money? My opinion is that it is absolutely not worth any money at all!

Ravenvalor

Scam? Perhaps not, if they send you what they are telling you they will send you, then it is not a "scam." Please note that that is not the same thing as saying their product will do what the advertisements are suggesting it will do. Please also note that an advertisement can lead you to believe a product can do something that it cannot really do, without the advertisement actually telling any lies. I am inclined to believe that if you buy it, and use it, and subsequently feel better, it will only be because you believed it would make you feel better. I am willing to suggest that if a scientific experiment were conducted that involved some people getting to use the product and others only thinking they were using the product, or that involved the same people using the product and being told that from time to time it would be disconnected and other times connected, there would be no evidence that the people actually using it while it was connected would be able to discern the difference.

Worth the money? My opinion is that it is absolutely not worth any money at all!

Kind of like accupuncture, all placebo effect.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Depends upon what study you choose to believe.

+1
There are studies which show that most if not all acupuncture benefits are placebo effect. And there are other studies that show that it works for animals. And of course studies by acupuncture advocates that show it to be effective and to show that use of the "proper" acupuncture points works better than using random points.
And if it is entirely placebo effect, there is value in using an effective placebo. :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RLyons

My question is what would the danger be if lightning strikes near your ground rod and your child and dog are playing on that mat?
After watching that video I feel like going outside and taking a nap on the lawn...to bad it's frozen :lol:

kwired

Electron manager
Finally watched the video in the link in the OP. They said after not being in contact with the earth you may feel drained of energy.

I have many times spent most of the day literally in contact with the earth when installing underground wiring methods and usually felt pretty drained at the end of the day:roll::slaphead::jawdrop:

Maybe I am supposed to take my shoes off.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
In the summer we have karate classes outside on the lawn. Barefoot, of course.

In the winter we have them inside on a cold, wooden gym floor on the second story of a school.

Here is the difference I have noticed.

Outside is soft, uneven and warm. Inside is hard, flat and cold.

That's it. No electrical effect at all and I even turn the lights off when we leave, seein's how I am a qualified electrician and all.

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Finally watched the video in the link in the OP. They said after not being in contact with the earth you may feel drained of energy.

I have many times spent most of the day literally in contact with the earth when installing underground wiring methods and usually felt pretty drained at the end of the day:roll::slaphead::jawdrop:

Maybe I am supposed to take my shoes off.

Just poke one finger in the ground and keep it there all day. You should be stylin'.

Rampage_Rick

Placebo, Nocebo, it's all in your head. Around here there are numerous people with "electromagnetic hypersensitivity" who regularly make the news. I like to post this in response:

Never underestimate the power of the human mind...

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Hello,

Someone has posed the question to me about the validity of the claims made by the company that sells the 'Earthing' line of products. Thus far I am skeptical but was wondering what your thoughts were. Below is from the FAQ page on their website.

Thank you,

well, the video "guarantees" i will not only sleep better and feel better....
but i will LOOK better.

i'd better go out and drive a deeper ground rod on my house...
this is going to take a lot more earthing......

a lot of references to the placebo effect have been made, with a lot
of merit to them. but people have been saying this for a very long time.

"it is done unto you, as you believe..." seems to be one of the older
references, and that comes out of the new testament.

my own personal curiosity with energy flow within the human body
spans 40 years, and what i've observed about the whole thing is there
is a range of legitimate inquiry, and some observable phenomena that
will really make you stop and think, and the unfortunate thing is if you
go about an inch and a half past that, you are in the tinfoil hat brigade.:lol:

a good example of this can be found in sedona, arizona. if you go thru
that town, the super cosmic new age woo-woo fluff and fold BS is enough
to choke a unicorn.

but, if you get past all that crap, and go about five miles back up into boyton
canyon, past all the yuppies spending $400 a night to stay at the new age
mumbo jumbo lodge at the entrance to the canyon, and sit down and get quiet,
there is something to all this stuff that i can't explain, and can't quantify,
but i can't refute it either.

and that is about all you can say without sounding like a blithering idiot,
who misplaced his tinfoil hat.

but a $60 pad that connects you to mother earth and makes you look better?
spare me.

cuba_pete

Earthing my a$$

Earthing my a$$

Wait until one of the new wave hippies experiences a lifted neutral in their sleep. I wonder what kind of dreams that would invoke...?:eek:

I call B.S. anyway. Unless you are wearing electrical safety foot wear or are using some other insulating material you are making plenty of contact with the earth...that's why people get shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.