Flexible Cord in Patient Care Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaw0486

Hi,
We are building a surgical center and the tenant wants a foot pedal to operate the lighting in the surgical room, so he can turn the lights on and off from the operating chair. The issue is that he wants it to be able to be moved all around which means it would have to be installed with flexible cord, I don't know of any flexible cord that meets the wiring requirement of a patient care area 517.13(A). The tenant has another space where the electrician used SO cord in the patient care area. Am I missing something or is this illegal?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Can you arrange it so that the foot control wiring carries only class 2 circuits?
Or even use a wireless remote instead of wired?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Basically I agree with the previous post. I have always seen these type of setups with low voltage class 2 circuits that just controlled a relay for the lights. That's the best route to go. I think in some areas this a hospital requirement.

Why go to all that trouble, just get "The clapper":lol:

shaw0486

I agree with everyone and this is what I originally mentioned as an option and the engineers has been doing this like this on a few projects for the same customer and is not accepting it as a violation.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I agree with everyone and this is what I originally mentioned as an option and the engineers has been doing this like this on a few projects for the same customer and is not accepting it as a violation.

That's nuts. ITs usually up to an inspector (not the engineer) to decide what is a code violation.

OR's are often considered wet locations, so I would say a line voltage cord on the floor is a double whammy.

Status
Not open for further replies.