Bad Support Design!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

transman2

Hello,

I have contractor that installed a 3' piece of strut on a conveyor walkway by supporting the last 3" of the unistrut to a piece of the outside grating angle so 35" is in free air. He supported it by drilling through the the angle and installing a springnut instead of bolting through with a square washer and double nut it. There will be 3 conduits on strut and its a horizontial application. The spacing is fine but I'm use to seeing this done by supporting from angle to angle with 1 bolt in each and protrude out far enough to install 3 conduits. You can pull down on the strut and twist the angle with the design now.

Is there a code reference for this poor design to get the contractor to change it.?

Thanks!!!

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Hello,

I have contractor that installed a 3' piece of strut on a conveyor walkway by supporting the last 3" of the unistrut to a piece of the outside grating angle so 35" is in free air. He supported it by drilling through the the angle and installing a springnut instead of bolting through with a square washer and double nut it. There will be 3 conduits on strut and its a horizontial application. The spacing is fine but I'm use to seeing this done by supporting from angle to angle with 1 bolt in each and protrude out far enough to install 3 conduits. You can pull down on the strut and twist the angle with the design now.

Is there a code reference for this poor design to get the contractor to change it.?

Thanks!!!
Hello transman:thumbsup:

I don't think there is but,why is the contractor building your racks?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm assuming that the struts cannot move once the conduits are installed. All that's required by the NEC is that it's mechanically secured it doesn't need to be pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.