wiring trace out

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremysterling

The best method for tracing wires involves installing them in an organized manner. Wire markers and control equipment labels are useful. Affixing a schematic or wiring diagram to the control cabinet can aid tracing. Bundling the wires parallel and using loom or Panduit type channel keeps conductors arranged neatly and allows for "one-lining" style tracing.

Last week, my boss pointed out another contractors control panel wiring as being less than ideal because it lacked point-to-point wiring. That is to say, the wires at one terminal should be in and out. The offending installer had put three wires on one terminal of a switch when he could have made a neater and more easily traceable (and by definition, organized) if he had extended one of the three wires further down the board to the next switch. My boss pointed out that a well thought out installer would locate the termination points of the field installed wires before they are cut.

Good luck on your project and welcome to the forum.

Congrats to Cadpoint on 5K post!

Last edited:

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Not an easy thing

Not an easy thing

What you are asking for is not an easy thing, allot has to do with knowing the machine. First thing TURN OFF POWER; Don't let anyone at work talk you into trying it with power on. Break it down into two groups Power and Control, mark everything temporary first so if you find something you missed it don't take much to fix. My approach was to take one conduit at a time and trace from there, branching out when needed. It takes allot of time but it can be done.
Also make a note on prints that this was a traced circuit and may have missed something, nothing worse than finding out something is not on prints.
Good Luck and after you draw the prints you WILL know the machine inside and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.