AFCI in Manufactured Homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

czars

Czars
Occupation
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor
The 2011 NEC, Article 406.4(D)(4) requires AFCI protection to be installed when a receptacle is replaced on a circuit requiring AFCI protection. There are a lot of manufactured homes here in Florida, but I can not find a similar requirement in Article 550. Am I correct in thinking the provisions of 406.4(D)(4) do not apply to manufactured homes?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
The 2011 NEC, Article 406.4(D)(4) requires AFCI protection to be installed when a receptacle is replaced on a circuit requiring AFCI protection. There are a lot of manufactured homes here in Florida, but I can not find a similar requirement in Article 550. Am I correct in thinking the provisions of 406.4(D)(4) do not apply to manufactured homes?

When Ohio regulated MHs in 2007 we were told/taught that after one year, if on a permanent foundation, that the MH was under the RCO. That means the same as any other single family home. Your state may treat them that way.

But let's stay with the NEC.

550.13 Receptacle Outlets.
(A) Grounding-Type Receptacle Outlets. All receptacle
outlets shall comply with the following:
(1) Be of grounding type
(2) Be installed according to 406.4
(3) Except where supplying specific appliances, be 15- or
20-ampere, 125-volt, either single or multiple type, and
accept parallel-blade attachment plugs

czars

Czars
Occupation
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor
I just received info from Eaton stating that there are no Eaton manufactured AFCI breakers for Westinghouse, Challenger or Bryant panels. Does onyone have and different info?

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
The Eaton Cutler Hammer current catalog says they are used in CURRENT BR type panels, but is quiet on panels prior to CH buying the Westinghouse division ... I'd ask again, but they may be pleasing their lawyers, or there may have been changes in the panels since prior manufacturer designs.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Cutler Hammer bought out those manufacturers so IMO the BR series breakers should be compliant in Bryant panels as well as the others.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Cutler Hammer bought out those manufacturers so IMO the BR series breakers should be compliant in Bryant panels as well as the others.
I don't see how the ownership of the company has anything to do with the issue. The breaker and the bus have to have been designed to work together.

kwired

Electron manager
I found this from a Menards site.

http://www.menards.com/main/electri...rc-fault-circuit-breaker/p-1462067-c-6415.htm

It states that it is able to be used in those panels.
You trust information posted by Menard's over information from Eaton on such a product? I don't trust Menards information period.

For those on east or west coast or far southern US, Menards is about the same as Home Depot or Lowes, but not quite spread nationwide, but has a pretty large area in central and northern US, and is based from Wisconsin.

I don't see how the ownership of the company has anything to do with the issue. The breaker and the bus have to have been designed to work together.
I agree, and it may well work fine, but they may have not done any testing to verify that it is OK. They may very well have good reasons for not testing, or maybe testing was done with undesirable results.

kwired

Electron manager
I said "it states" not "I state" and I did not allude/say that I knew the veracity of the info, I merely provided a link that the OP could pursue.

Understood, but I would still question any accuracy coming from that source, they are all about sales, not getting technical information right, and same goes for any other product they publish information about. I do buy a fair amount of products from them both personal and professional uses, and I often am left wondering why I didn't buy something elsewhere. Even some of the "good stuff" has issues. Had a 3 pack of GFCI receptacles from them, that sat on my shelf for who knows how long, maybe a few days, maybe a couple months doesn't matter. Get to a job where I need them and open up the box and it has only one genuine P&S device inside, the other two are "no name" devices and look like they have been used:( Made me mad. Bad enough they sell a bunch of poor products but in this case they very likely had someone return this package and didn't even look or know any better to check what was being put back on the shelf. I have run into many other similar cases where something defective, used, missing parts or otherwise is unusable was likely returned and put back on shelf and sold as new product, and I am always 60+ miles from the store when this discovery is made.

Status
Not open for further replies.