Commercial space existing load calcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicknorth

I'm on a current job where this building has a 800amp 120/208 service 16 100 amp rated meters with disconnects that tenants over the years have done whatever they wanted to it. Someone has removed the 3pole 100amp breakers and cut 150/175amp breakers into the gear. Our inspector said we have to repair this and take everyone back to the 100amp breakers, but the tenants are pulling over a 100amps and the building owners want a load calc. Is there any simple software out there for free or an Excel file to do nice simple load calcs and print them out?

Yes I know that this service gear needs to be trashed and new gear install, but these owners have already spent over $100k having us replacing another building onsite so they don't have enough money to replace this gear this year.

Attachments

• IMG_3704.jpg
    IMG_3704.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3706.jpg
    IMG_3706.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3705.jpg
    IMG_3705.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 0

VIC1958

Existing and New Commercial Load Calculations

Existing and New Commercial Load Calculations

Scenario: Existing 2 story commercial building with a 2000 amp C/T cabinet with fused disco. This then feeds a 1000 amp fused disco which feeds multiple meters and panel boards, feeds a 800 amp fused disco which in turns feeds multiple meters and panel boards and feeds a 600 amp fused disco which serves multiple meters and panel boards. Owners of the building have a history of doing electrical upgrades without pulling permits. They are currently in for permit and want to up grade the service in one of the retail units. I have never been in this building and have no idea of the electrical layout. Is there something in the code that I can use in order for the building owners to provide me a current up to date load calculations and a complete 1 line of the entire electrical system to see if this upgrade is feesible without any upgrade to the current service? Am I asking anything out of the ordinary? They provided me a 1 line, but it dosent show the entire system, only the service from the CT cabinet to the meter can to the new panel board, I have no idea what the rest of the building is pulling as far as electrical demand or is capable of pulling.
Hope this make sense.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Scenario: Existing 2 story commercial building with a 2000 amp C/T cabinet with fused disco. This then feeds a 1000 amp fused disco which feeds multiple meters and panel boards, feeds a 800 amp fused disco which in turns feeds multiple meters and panel boards and feeds a 600 amp fused disco which serves multiple meters and panel boards. Owners of the building have a history of doing electrical upgrades without pulling permits. They are currently in for permit and want to up grade the service in one of the retail units. I have never been in this building and have no idea of the electrical layout. Is there something in the code that I can use in order for the building owners to provide me a current up to date load calculations and a complete 1 line of the entire electrical system to see if this upgrade is feesible without any upgrade to the current service? Am I asking anything out of the ordinary? They provided me a 1 line, but it dosent show the entire system, only the service from the CT cabinet to the meter can to the new panel board, I have no idea what the rest of the building is pulling as far as electrical demand or is capable of pulling.
Hope this make sense.
Perhaps a moderator will read this and move your post and my reply to a new thread.

You are completely within AHJ authority to want a diagram. The following section supports this assertion:

215.5 Diagrams of Feeders. If required by the authority
having jurisdiction, a diagram showing feeder details shall
be provided prior to the installation of the feeders. Such a
diagram shall show the area in square feet of the building
or other structure supplied by each feeder, the total calculated
load before applying demand factors, the demand factors
used, the calculated load after applying demand factors,
and the size and type of conductors to be used.

Under 220.87, in lieu of a complete load calculation, a year's worth of maximum demand data from the POCO for each consumer, or a demand study per the exception would suffice, subject to the other conditions set forth therein.

Status
Not open for further replies.