Hospital data center

Status
Not open for further replies.

m sleem

Exemplary Сasual Dating - Genuine Females
Occupation
Health
Do we realy need to design and create a datacenter in hospital building? the question raised during meeting with a data center's supplier, he says we need to provide a datacenter to keep the patient's data away when we have any disaster, That's realy funny! if we have any of the natural disaster & that disaster hits the hospital, then the datacenter will be affected accordingly, aside from that! what is the use of keeping the patient's data in case of the patient is gone. May be, i don't have a good background in this part, but the supplier really failed to convince me by its benefits for hospitals.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Maybe I don't quite understand the question, but in my opinion, a data center is a very important part of any hospital. Patient records, including blood tests, MRI's, CT's, xrays, etc. are all stored electronically. Loss of those records could be a disaster.

But in reality, it may be all the billing info. that convinces a hospital to invest in a state of the art data center. Just imagine if a month of accounts payable were lost. The CFO would consider that a disaster.

i think what he is refering to here is they need to build a fail over site, which is a dcops data center residing offsite that mirrors that which resides onsite. in the event of a natural disaster say god forbid a bomb goes off destroying the data center in the hospital., the hospital must remain online and also have access to all the records that were on the onsite datacenter. when the onsite center got obliterated. this is where dcops failover comes in. all the workstations in the hospital when they lost their link to the onsite datacenter get rerouted through a second server in the building that then reconnect them to the offsite datacenter that also contains all the same files as it is updated in real time and only lost the few seconds worth of data that was not yet sent when the on site center failed.

BostonEE

I don't understand the argument about keeping the data away during a disaster, but I've encountered many hospital clients that choose to have their own data centers in-house. The amount of data they need to manage is getting so large that it's cheaper and more effective to store and manage it themselves.

m sleem

Exemplary Сasual Dating - Genuine Females
Occupation
Health
From all opinion we can understand that the main benefit of getting the on-site datacenter in order to keep the large amount of the information in safe & cheap place.
The Off-site datacenter (fail over site) to back up the important information in away place (TIA 942 says 30km away from the served building), this one maybe more appropriate for (army, government, web social sites,?), of course having it for hospitals is very useful when the budget allows.

Status
Not open for further replies.